NINE

{unedited}

She couldn't go back. The what if's were of real concern. She needed to head forward and get help. Hoped that she'd meet a kind woman like the one she had before where she'd bought food from.

Walking while trying to mask her limp, she spotted a female who appeared to be the same age as her, holding the hand of a young boy.

She neared the duo and asked the female who took a step back because of how close Geneva had gotten for help.

"Please help me I have nowhere to go. If you can house me for only one night I'll be gone by tomorrow."

The female who she'd noticed had a black beauty spot above her upper lip and dark brown curly hair looked at her funny before tightening her hold on the boy's hand. Telling him they needed to go in Spanish and side stepped her.

"Please I'm begging you." Geneva held onto the females arm not wanting her to leave.

"Are you in trouble?"

She too had hints of an accent but not there at the same time. She sounded different, easier to understand.

"I am, these men tried to-, they tried to-, they've gone but I, I have no where to go please help me." Tears rushed to and covered her eyesight. Rolling down her cheeks.

Scared, uncertain and in dear need of help Geneva couldn't keep the sobs away.

It had become frighteningly real , her life wasn't safe out on the streets. She was doomed for sure if she didn't get help . Already it was passed noon basing on one's shadow.

"I have enough troubles of my own to add yours-"

"Yes. I know you have enough on your plate but please," Geneva went on her knees, a sharp throb in her thigh as she did so. "I promise you I'll be gone by tomorrow. I'm only looking for something that I hope to get tomorrow and I'll be gone."

About to open her mouth to speak, they both looked at the young boy who tagged the hand holding his looking up .

"Mama please lets help her."

Geneva's heart tightened watching the boy look up at his mother urging her to help.

" I will help. But you're out by tomorrow."

Geneva nodded and wiped at her wet cheeks sniffing. Trying and failing to stop her crying. The boy let go of his mother's hand and placed his small hands on her face .

"Don't cry." He urged looking into her eyes with his brown ones and Geneva nearly burst into more tears nodding her head. Agreeing with him and he hugged her.

" My name's Andreas Ayala I'm five years old and mama's name is María."

"My, my name's Eva."

Andreas pulled back with a smile showing his perfectly aligned milk teeth, unknowingly casting rays in Geneva's gloom." Eva. Mama's bringing you home with us."he announced with excitement and she found herself smile with him.

She tapped into his bright infectious aura.

María drove the three of them quite a distance from where they had begun the drive to her modest yet outstanding home.

The area was gated and more upscale than where she had been.Far from the men who'd be looking around the area they thought she'd be in.

Thinking about it made her question what would have happened if she'd been left behind to fend for herself and her insides folded in miserable uncertainty.