Chapter 59

I sit next to Jahní, while she rest in bed. She didn't want to, but I had her get some rest in bed. I watch her; as she breathes easily. For all her arguing about not being tired she fell asleep in less than five minutes, and I sit here smiling in amusement. Jahní has a stubborn streak in her that seems to run in her family.

I hear someone arrive downstairs at the door, so I get up silently and head there to see who it is. When I get there Hal and Lahí are there being greeted by one of the maids, who turns to me bowing. I incline my head thanking her for her being diligent in her duty.

Hal is in his utilities, which I'm still in myself I chucky inside. It's good to see Hal and Lahí again, since they remained behind. "Gunny, Lahí. It's good to see friendly faces."

I extend my hand and he takes it, and I hug Lahí. Happy reunions; I explain to them what happened today. "That royal pain in the ass came here! Eh!" Hal has an angry look in his eye. "That Son of a..." he glances at Lahí who is quietly listening and looking down. "Well, our of respect for my lady I'll refrain from any colorful language, but you understand Skipper."

"Where is my sister?" Her voice is hushed and somewhat sad.

I look at Hal and he shakes his head. "What's going on here?" Lahí looks at me. "My brother has threatened to expose my pledging to Hal."

"Why?"

Hal takes in a slow breath. "That... guy is preparing for something and Lahí discovered something, but she won't tell me what it is." I turn to her and she looks away.

I rub my chin. "It has something to with the Barhalmahní threat right?" She remains silent. "He's in league with them. I should've known his visit wasn't a coincidence." He straight up and came to see my mind set and gauge me. He'll probably report what he saw in me to who ever his contact is. Well, a least now we know who the traitor is, but this is all useless without proof or a witness. "You heard something, or witnessed him committing a treasonous act, so he has threatened Hal."

She turns to me with a tear rolling down her face. "He will kill Hal if I say anything to Father... these are strange times we live in Antonio and I will not let Hal, Jahní or you be harmed."

I put my hands behind me and start to pace; think Ant, think. No plan is one hundred percent full proof; there's alway a chink in the armor. This will require some thought though and without Lahí cooperating, it won't matter. "Neither of you are safe. I'm sure that a convenient accident can occur here as well."

I rub my chin some more. "The two of will stay aboard the Helios. Lahí will be our guest, and that take her out of harms way. Gunny, we need an experienced hand with the Marines these days on the Helios."

Hal nods in agreement, but Lahí doesn't seem to happy. "I do not wish to hide on board your ship to avoid danger!" She folds her arm stubbornly; like I said before, hard heads. "I am a Princess of the Majah-tu and of the Warrior cast! We do not cower in fear!"

Yeah, well. "Listen, I know it goes against your code to act covertly, but on my world many battles are fought and won in the shadows."

She frowns at me disgusted at the thought of fighting underhandedly. "Fighting in the dark by killing from behind is without honor!"

I incline my head to her. "That is correct, but you said it yourself these are different days from your history, so it demands new tactics to be used in order to win the war."

Lahí turns away trying to ignore me. "My people do know how to fight that way, but that is the of the mahal-to the industrial cast."

That's good to hear. "That means that you will have to employ the assistance of that cast..."