Vol. 7: The Hunchback of Notre Dame

//TW: Use of the g-slur (bleeped), racism towards Romani people, violence, mild gore, Stockholm Syndrome, gaslighting, falling, fire, death, shaming of birth defects//
Word Count: 17,554

~Once Upon A Time~

In 15th century France, the heart of Paris awakens to the ringing bells of Notre Dame. The fisherman fishes, the baker bakes, the people go about their lives, all set to the sound of ringing bells. The larger ones can sound like thunder, while the small ones are a soft psalm, all mixing together in beautiful ringing.

But the bells don't ring by themselves.

High up in the darkened bell tower, a mysterious bell ringer lives. The tale of this bell ringer is the tale of a man... and a monster.

~~~~~~

A few years before the bell ringer, on a dark night, four Roma slid stealthily along the Seine. A man, a woman, their infant, and the man rowing them under the docks. The baby cried, and the mother quickly calmed him. They couldn't risk being spotted.

The tiny boat hit the land and they hurriedly stepped off.

"Four gilders for safe passage into Paris," the leader demanded.

The father reached into a small pouch, prepared to pay him, when a figure atop a horse emerged from the shadows.

The Roma gasped. They hadn't known a trap had been laid for them, but now they were caught.

"Judge Claude Frollo," the father breathed in terror, shielding his wife and son.

Frollo, the man atop the horse, signaled for armed guards to cease hiding and reveal themselves. He ordered, "Bring these g*psy vermin to the Palace of Justice."

The guards moved to seize the Roma. The mother instinctively pulled her child away from the ruthless grasp of a guard, who shouted angrily, "You, what are you hiding?"

She opened her mouth, but Frollo cut her off, "Stolen goods, no doubt. Take them from her."

The guard reached for the infant again and the mother bolted. In the back of her mind, she regretted leaving her husband behind, and she recognized the futility of running, but in the heat of the moment, her child was in danger, and that took priority. Anything she could do to keep her child safe, even for just a little longer, was well worth the risks or consequences.

Frollo sneered and reared his horse, pursuing her as she evaded.

The mother knew enough about the city to know she was rapidly approaching a church, in fact, that was their plan. Sail to Paris to evade persecution and finally be safe inside Notre Dame, a grand church with magnificent bells.

The horse whinnied dangerously behind her and she tried to go faster. Her infant was crying, but she didn't have the time or energy to comfort him.

Notre Dame finally came into view, practically glowing with an aura of safety. She ran up the steps, slippery with snow, and pounded on the doors.

"Sanctuary!" she cried. "Please give us sanctuary!"

She was too late.

Frollo's horse caught up with her at last. He reached down and ripped the infant from her arms, rearing his horse again. The animal kicked her in the head, sending her toppling down the steps. Her neck bent at a gruesome angle and a wound on her forehead stained the snow with blood.

Frollo remained unaffected. Then the bundle of cloth in his hand made a sound, a somber coo.

"A baby?" he gasped. He pulled back the cloth and shuddered at the child's face, covering it back up. "A monster," he declared. This... thing needed to be dealt with. Frollo looked around and spotted a well in front of the cathedral. Perfect.