Chapter 48: Honor Thy Father VI (Black)

A/N: STILL NO SPOILERS, PLEASE! Let's not ruin other people's reading experience. Thank you!

 Thank you!

LORELEI

I DON'T know what to feel anymore. This is too much already.

Should I lock myself in my room and cry my eyes out?

Should I scream at the top of my lungs until my voice would no longer come out?

Should I push away people who come to offer me their condolences?

Should I pretend to be okay even though I am not?

What should I feel in the coming days?

I stared at my dad's coffin in front of me. The last time I remember being in the same position was when my mom died. Back then, I was just a child and I was not fully aware of what was happening. My dad told me that my mom's gonna go to a faraway place.

Now I know what real pain meant.

It's been three days since I was informed that he was shot while on his way to our apartment. Even his poor driver died in the drive-by shooting.

I couldn't believe it.

I didn't want to believe it.

Couldn't this be just a nightmare? Like what happened to Alistair and Jamie when I dreamt of them getting killed in the car crash?

This was unfair.

Totally unfair.

He was trying to make things right between us. He was trying to make up with me! He was making an effort! I saw that he's being genuine!

Then fate snatched him away from me. Just moments before we started mending our relationship as father and daughter. Wasn't that the saddest part?

No, wait a minute. This was not fate's doing.

This was the fault of the person who thought it would be fun to shoot at him. Not just once. Not just twice. But eighteen times at his car. Thirteen of the bullets hit my dad who was defenseless in his seat. Whoever pulled the trigger was soulless. He deserved to rot in hell. For all eternity.

Hindi ko 'to matanggap. Ang hirap tanggapin. Ang sakit tanggapin.

I was looking forward to our dinner. Maaga nga akong nag-ayos para doon. I was also looking forward to asking him about his health. Gusto kong malaman kung ano talaga ang tunay niyang kalagayan.

I had a grim thought that his illness—if he's seriously sick—would claim his life. I never thought for a moment that he'd die this way. Unexpected. Without any warning.

That's what made it more painful to me.

Kung pwede ko lang ibalik ang oras, kahit ilang minuto sana, sasabihan ko siya na huwag nang tumuloy. That way, his life could have been saved.