Chapter 7 | maeve reads smiles. her friend reads books detailing murder.

---------------------------> THE N

---------------------------> THE N.E.W.T LEVEL CLASS OF ANCIENT RUNES contained a wonderful blend of students of all four houses considering there was only a handful who took the subject as an elective.

Three-fourths of the Marauders attended the class and had to bid a sad Peter goodbye as they parted ways that day. Back in the third year, Peter had actually opted Ancient Runes along with them but had unfortunately not obtained the qualifying marks to continue taking the subject after the O.W.L examinations.

Maeve thought it was a tragic sonnet on how Peter was usually, unconsciously left out of the activities of the Marauders. She was well aware how tight-knitted their group was, how close they were all with each other, behaving more like brothers than friends, always looking out for one-another and having each other's backs. They were a family, really.

However, should an unbiased outsider gazed at the brotherhood of pranksters, it would be quite obvious who was the daisy in the field of roses.

Peter Pettigrew was a smidge different from the other three Marauders. He was chubby whereas James Potter was dreamy, Sirius Black was attractive and Remus Lupin was good-looking. He was of average intelligence while James Potter was smart, Sirius Black was a prodigy and Remus Lupin was an abundance of knowledge. He was awkward when James Potter was charming, Sirius Black was charismatic and Remus Lupin was sweet.

Maeve could tell Peter felt left-out sometimes. It was the little things, how he would hear girls and guys alike gush over the gorgeousness of the Marauders, but his name wouldn't come up. It was like how sometimes when the Marauders were speaking about homework or discussing theories, Peter would remain silent. It was like how Peter would laugh at a joke a little too slow; as if he wasn't quite sure what he was laughing about but did so because everybody else was.

It didn't help that Peter was highly insecure, about his weight, his looks, his academics, his thoughts, his speech, everything. It was seen in how he agreed so quickly to the plans of his friends -even if he didn't personally condone them- but did so because he was maybe afraid that if he didn't, he wouldn't have any friends. It was seen in how Peter dutifully trailed behind his friends, too afraid to stand in front of them just in case they would run away when he turned to look back but content with standing behind them, watching their backs and seeing them shine.

Peter was a lovely friend who was scared of being alone, of being lonely.

Maeve had only spoken to him briefly but she knew that he adored eating a combination of chocolate and cheese, listened to muggle jazz music and read muggle fairy tale books. She also knew that his father was out of the picture, his mother had recently passed away (she had left a bar of chocolate, a letter and given him a hug when she found out and his friends were constantly by his side for a whole month, threading lightly and making sure he was happy) and he was currently living with his ailing grandmother.