Chapter 9

You practically sprint out of class, completely forgetting about Tommy. To be honest, you were really nervous about what he was going to say. Would he think you were crazy? Would he be embarrassed of you? Would he ask what Sam said to you? You couldn't let yourself think theses things.Your anxiety ruins everything! You couldn't even keep one person from hating you, how pathetic. You begin to follow the crowd but get mixed up and forget which direction you came from. You had no idea where the cafeteria was, and you were starving. You begin to get overwhelmed, getting pushed back and forth between the crowd. You feel a hand grab your shoulder. It was squeezing quite tight, and you couldn't find the source.

"Y/N?"

Tommy.

You weren't sure whether to be relieved or nervous. Either way, you couldn't run now. You find where he is as the crowd dissipates.

"Tommy."

"How are you feeling? Be honest! We can skip the next class, it isn't that busy of a day today anyways."

"I am fine, can we find somewhere to sit?"

"Of course, are you okay with going to the lunchroom? Freddie and Erin aren't there today because they got in trouble I guess."

"Yeah, wherever you want. I just need to sit."

"Of course, follow me,"

He leads you towards a door. You weren't sure where he was taking you, but it wasn't looking like it was the cafeteria. You were starving, but you were more worried about getting your nerves under control at the moment. He opens the door and the fresh air fills your lungs. It feels amazing. You take a deep breath as you exit the school. To your right, there is a picnic table that seems unoccupied. He sits on one side, and you follow, but sit opposite of him. You take a few more breaths and he looks at you as you do so. He seems more concerned than anything else.

"Are you okay, really?"

"Yeah, just overwhelmed."

"Y/N, I saw Sam whisper to you. You can tell me if you feel comfortable. He is known for being a real prick, you know."

"Okay, but you can't laugh or tell anyone.

"Promise."

"He said I had a nice ass. I know it sounds like a weird thing to be upset about, but it made me really uncomfortable. Everyone was staring, and it made me think they all thought the same as Sam. Even you. That is why I didn't wait for you."

"What the fuck! Why would he say that? Does he know how he sounds? God I am fucking pissed! He better watch out, I am going to beat the shit out of him!"

Tommy's face fills with anger. His eyes look just like Josh's did before he hit you. You close your eyes and flinch. Tommy notices and sets his hand over yours.

"Sorry, didn't mean to freak you out. That is just disgusting. I hope you know I would never think such lewd things about you. I know we just met, but you mean a lot to me. What a prick!"

"Tommy, it is fine. There is nothing you can do."

"I could slam his face into the ground."

"That wouldn't do anything, please calm down. You get a bit scary when you are angry."

You laugh, but secretly you really do feel that way. You know he only wanted to help, but you hated seeing him like that.

"I'm sorry Y/N, I don't mean to get so worked up. Please tell me if anyone else makes you uncomfortable, though. You don't deserve it."

Tommy's voice goes soft, as if he is telling you a secret. You smile and nod, letting him know you understand. It hadn't fully registered, but his hand was still resting atop of yours. You didn't move, though. It was nice, comforting even. You feel your stomach growl, and Tommy moves his hand back. He reaches into his backpack and grabs his water, some crisps, and apple, and a cookie.

"Oh my god! I completely forgot about lunch! I usually just go up to the cafeteria with Erin, but the place was too crowded today. Here, have this!"

"No! I am not eating all your food."

"Please?"

Tommy pouts his lip dramatically.

"Fine, but you have to promise me you will eat before you stream."

"Okay, sounds good."

You reach for the water first and take a big drink. It was refreshing. You then reach for the crisps and try to open them, you fail. You get frustrated and try again, but to no avail. Your face gets red and you look away, embarrassed. You hand the chips to Tommy, hoping he'd get the message. He does and he opens the bag for you. They were pretty bland, but it was nice to have something in your stomach. The table falls quiet as you eat. You still feel a bit guilty, but you know Tommy wouldn't have offered them to you if he didn't want you to have them.

"Thank you so much, Tommy. You have been such a big help today."

"My pleasure."

It was cheesy, but you both smiled. Tommy holds his hand out, silently asking for a few of the crisps he had offered you. They were his, after all. You pour some into his hands and watch as he eats them.

"Are you sure you're good to go to the last 2 classes? I meant it when I said we could skip."

"Yeah, I am sure. I am feeling a lot better now!"

"Good to hear! There is still about 30 minutes left of lunch, which is good. You deserve a break!"

"Yeah, that is good haha. Also, Sheryl told me that the wi-fi would be set up by the time we get off school! If your not busy, would you want to help set up my stuff before the stream?"

"Oh my gosh, yes!"

"Are you sure? I'm sure you will be tired! We can do it whenever, really!"

"Nah, tonight works great! The stream got pushed back, so I am free all night!"

"Why'd it get cancelled?"

"The friend who was the host of the stream got sick."

"Oh no, are they ok?"

"Oh yeah! It's just a cold, but they are dramatic."

"Well, I hope they feel better either way!"

Tommy smiles. He had helped you so much today, and you weren't quite sure how to express your gratitude. You had already said thank you an embarrassing amount of times, but what was once more?

"Tommy, I really can't thank you enough for everything you've done last night and today. I know it sounds stupid, and I'm not trying to get sappy, but you have made all of this genuinely fun. I was really scared to move, but it has turned out to be amazing so far!"

"You don't have to thank me Y/N! I know it seems hard to believe, but I actually enjoy spending time with you! It's a win-win!"

"Oh shut up"

"You know you love me."

You both laugh at the comment. It was nothing more than a joke. You had known him for less than 24 hours. You two were good friends, and you were glad! But that was all.

"Anything you want to do before lunch is over Y/N?"

"Not really- we don't have any homework, right?"

"Not that I know of."

"Yeah, I'm not sure then."

"I think I am gonna rest my eyes for a bit, if that's ok?"

"Totally! When does lunch end so I can wake you?"

"11:45"

"Ok, get some rest!"

He lays his head down on top of his backpack, which was resting on the table. It was a bit chilly, but the sun was out. You weren't really sure what to do. You decide to set an alarm on your phone for when lunch ends. You rest your head on your arms and close your eyes. It felt amazing to just have a break from the stress for a bit. You feel yourself begin to relax as you get sleepy. You close your eyes and quickly drift off to sleep, listening to cars pass as you do.