22

When I entered the potions classroom at seven o'clock, Professor Snape wasn't here but Fred was. He was sitting with his head in his palm and as I stepped into the cold room, his eyes landed on me and his elbow slipped off the table.

Our eyes met and I couldn't hold back the sigh that escaped my lips. He looked surprised to see me which makes sense. This is my second time getting detention in my six years of attending Hogwarts.

Now I had to spent Merlin knows how long in this classroom with Fred and him looking extra good today did not help with how difficult it was going to be.

"Are you sure you're in the right place?" he asked when I approached and sat down on the chair next to him. I looked at him and nodded.

"This is detention with Snape, right?" I asked. "Because that's exactly where I'm supposed to be."

"What did you do to end up here?"

"Does it matter?"

"I'm just asking." he held up his hands in defence. "It's easier to make conversation than just sit in silence until Snape gets here."

I sighed.

"Nick and I got caught in the forbidden forest." I told him. "Professor Sprout assigned me to help you in Snape's detention and Nick got assigned to help George in Filch's office."

"What were you doing in the forbidden—"

"Fred." I interrupted and turned in the chair to face him. "Why are you interested? Why are you acting like this is a conversation we have to have. We're not together anymore. You're not my boyfriend and you're not my friend so please shut up so we can get through this detention so I can get back to my friends. The people who actually care about me."

His eyes searched my face before he shook his head and turned away from me.

"You know I love you." He said. "You know I care. I told you while I had a fucking truth serum in my system."

"I don't want you to love me, Fred." I sighed. "I want you to stop. If we got back together, you'd only hurt me again."

"No I wouldn't."

"You don't know that!"

"Well you don't know that either!"

"No... probably not." I shrugged. "But I do know that I saw you make out with Johnson and I even... I thought you had fucked her because I couldn't fulfill your needs."

He looked at me again with a frown.

"And you know what I did?" I asked. "I went and I fucked someone during the summer."

I was trying to hurt him and maybe that made me a bad person but I needed him to stop chasing me for a moment. He made me feel like I couldn't breathe so I just wanted him to leave me alone to let me get some air and think about things.

"No you didn't."

"Yes." I breathed. "I did."

"Let's get this started so you can finish quickly." It came from the door as Professor Snape entered. He had his usual cold expression on his face and he pulled out his wand, flicking it in the air which made all the jars on the shelves fly through the air and sit themselves down on the table where Fred and I sat. "You two will sort every ingredient. Bad ones are to be thrown out. I will be back in ten minutes. If I see either one of you have moved an inch from the table, your punishment will get worse. Now get this over with since I am sure we all have places we'd rather be."

Then he left again and Fred and I both sighed at the amount of jars we had to go through but we got started so we could get finished and get out of here.