sequel: chapter twenty-eight

"After lunch, we need to talk to you guys," Brynn tells the kids who were sitting on their designated chairs as they ate their sandwiches

"Mama's having a baby?" Bodhi asks.

Our kids have a strange addiction to pregnancy. Every day they ask if we're going to have another baby soon and I'm left speechless.

"No, not yet," I tell them, and Brynn eyes me. I winked at her, making her cheeks go red.

We let the kids finish their lunch. We decided to speak to all the kids instead of just Journey. Bodhi had the persuasive genes in his system so maybe he could help out.

Once we cleaned them up and finished the dishes we sat them on the couch.

"This is cute, our first family meeting." Sol cheers.

Brynn and I let out a burst of soft laughter.

"Do you guys remember Blair?" Brynn asks.

Bodhi and Sol nod their heads while Journey just has this hard state in her eyes. Something that rarely happened.

"Journey doesn't want to see her," Sol says hugging onto her older sister. Bodhi nods agreeing.

"Blair used to be mean to mommy," Journey says. "I don't like meanies."

"She's biologically your mother still," I tell her and she shakes her head.

"My mommy is right here, I don't need any more mommies." Journey runs over to Brynn and jumps into her arms.

"I will always be your mommy baby." Brynn kisses her temple.

"Yes she was mean to mommy but she never once hurt her feelings. Mommy was too strong to let a meanie do that to her." I tell Journey.

"Don't you want to say goodbye to her, one last time?" Brynn asks. "She's different now."

"What if she's not? What if she's still mean to you?" Journey asks Brynn.

"Don't worry about me, baby. People can change for the better. Maybe she has but if she hasn't then it doesn't matter. She just wants to talk to you okay? If you think she's being mean then we can leave okay? This is your choice."

Journey leans her head onto Brynn's shoulder as she thought. "Blair is sick?" Bodhi asks us. We nodded. "I know you don't like her, I don't too but you might regret it." He tells Journey.

"Yeah, let her leave with peace on her mind. It's better for the soul." Sol smiles.

"Who taught you that?"

"Grandpappy Levi." She smiles proudly making me chuckle.

"I'll go see her," Journey says.

"Really? Are you sure?" I asked.