Hope

Harry's POV

I thought about Hermione's words on Christmas Eve for the rest of the break.

Even for a vampire Draco Malfoy, a cage is a bit much. I mean, he's only 15 right? If he really didn't attack that third year, why is he being punished so harshly? Obviously being a vampire wouldn't be a good thing in society, but with the right laws they shouldn't be that big of a problem, right?

Arriving back at Hogwarts, Ron and I decide to go flying. He steals one of his brother's brooms, as well as a quaffle, and we head off towards the Quidditch Pitch. Mounting our brooms, we shoot into the sky.

I have the quaffle first, and Ron is guarding the score posts. I fly towards him, and throw the quaffle, which is easily caught by Ron. I am in no way a chaser. It takes about half an hour for me to score, and then we switch. Apparently I can't play any other position other then seeker, because every one of his shots goes in, much to my disappointment.

One shot, however, I did block, just not quite properly. The quaffle came hurtling at my face, and I chouldn't do anything in time, and it collided with me. I hear my glasses break, and the crack of my nose. Then I'm falling. The sound of Ron's alarmed cry rings in the air, but it's too late. I hit the ground, and the world goes black.

Draco's POV

I writing when the sound of commotion fills the Hospital Wing.

Looking up from the paper, I see Ron Weasley hurrying over to a bed holding an unconscious Harry Potter. Harry's nose is bleeding. Well f*ck.

I force myself to look away. I try not to breath. The scent of Potter's blood fills the room, causing my brain to shut down. It takes everything in my to not lunge forward and attempt to claw at the walls of my cage.

Once again, the blue veins are creeping up my neck, and slowly covering my stomach. If nothing is done soon, I may as well be a goner. Umbitch's plan is working.

Madame Pomfrey hurries over to Harry, and thankfully Weasley hasn't noticed me yet. I listen to him explain that Potter had been hit in the face with a quaffle, and he fell off of his broom. Honestly, quite a sad way to get knocked out.

Then I realized something. If Potter and Weasley are back, that means that Christmas break is over. Everyone is going back to classes, and I'm still stuck in the stupid display cage. If classes are back, that also means more homework that I have to do with no access to the library, or lessons.

I stare intently at the paper in my lap, my head pounding, and I hear Potter wake up. I restrain from looking up, knowing that he probably still has blood on his face, but I hear them talking.

"You alright Harry?" Weasley asks, as Potter pushes himself into a sitting position.

"I'm fine," Harry says, waving off his friends concern.

Then silence fills the Hospital Wing. Suddenly there is a loud gasp. Damn it, they've seen me!

"Malfoy?" Potter asks, clearly bewildered.

"Yeah?" I mumble, hanging my head lower.

"Bloody hell! 'Mione wasn't lying about the cage!" Weasley exclaims, shocked.

I risk looking up. Weasley is staring at me with wide eyes, his jaw dropped. Potter is sitting upright on the hospital bed, an alarmed expression on his face. However, as I had guessed, there was still blood on his face. I quickly look back down, desperately wanting nothing more than to disappear. To my relief, Madam Pomfrey returns quickly.

"It's rude to stare boys," The healer says sternly, and the two Gryffindors stubble out an apology, "Mr. Weasley, you may head back to your common room."

"But--" He starts, but Madam Pomfrey cuts him off.

"Sometime today please."

With a huff, I hear footsteps exit the room, leaving just Madam Pomfrey, Potter and I alone.

"Mr. Potter. As you know, Mr. Malfoy here is in a bit of a situation," The woman starts, but I can barely hear over the pounding in my head.

"Yes, I'm aware."

"Now, due to some complications, you are the only one who's blood he can drink," Madam Pomfrey explains.

"What! Why?" Potter asks rather loudly. "Is this one of Umbridge's sick jokes?"

"I'm afraid this is beyond even her control," The healer replies sadly.

I feel their eyes on me, and I curl up into a ball, letting the paper fall to the ground. I rest my head on my knees, letting my hair fall in a very un-Malfoy way.

"But... what? I..." I can practically hear Potter's inner conflict in his stuttered attempts at a sentence.

His Gryffindor hero complex is screaming to try and help me. However, part of him is telling him that I'm evil, and not worth the effort.

"Just, think about," Madam Pomfrey says gently, also cluing in to Potter's thoughts, "He really needs it."

"Yes Madam Pomfrey," Potter mutters, before shuffling out of the Hospital Wing.

"Don't forget to clean your face Mr. Potter!" The woman calls after the raven haired boy.

I look up to see Madam Pomfrey is in front of my cage, smiling at me sadly. I meet her eyes, and see sadness fill them.

"Do you think he'll do it?" I ask softly.

"Just give him time," The healer replies, "That boy holds grudges for a life time. Don't worry though, he'll come around eventually."

"Let's just hope that eventually isn't too late," I mutter.

"Try to get some sleep," Madam Pomfrey says, before leaving me alone.

Sighing, I pick my paper up off of the floor beside me, holding it in my hands. I look at the words I've written. It's almost like a diary. It shows what has happened from my perspective, for the small hope that I make it out of here alive, I have proof of what they've done to me.

I look up, and out one of the Hospital Wing windows. The stars twinkle brightly against the dark sky. I wish I could go outside. You never know what you had until you loose it.

Maybe Potter will turn around. Maybe he'll save me. Maybe I'll be able to go outside a free person again, and escape the prison I'm in.

All I can do is hope.

Words: 1019