Mission #1

Harry's POV

As dinner finishes up, Ron, Hermione and I head to detention with McGonagall.

When we reach her office, we find that she's not alone. While McGonagall is sitting at her desk, Hagrid stands next to it, fiddling with the brown bag in his hands. Both of their heads snap up when they hear us enter the room.

"Ah, there you are," Professor McGonagall says, motioning for us to enter.

"Good evening Professor," Hermione responds politely.

"Now, due to Ms. Granger's request, Hagrid will be taking you to the forbidden forest," Professor McGonagall says, "You will be collecting black flowers."

"Err... Professor?" Ron asks. "What does a black flower look like?"

"You'll know them when you see them, Mr. Weasley," McGonagall replies, "Now, you all better get going. You don't want to be out there in the dark for too long."

Hagrid grunts. "Yeh can follow me."

The three of us follow Hagrid out of the room, through the corridors, and towards the forest.

The large threes block out any remaining sunlight, casting an eerie glow through the forest. The thick undergrowth rustles with our every step.

Hagrid leads us deeper into the forest, until finally stopping at a small clearing.

"Right 'round here is where the flowers are," Says the giant, "Don't stray far."

Hagrid moves further into the clearing, leaving the three of us.

"What does a black flower look like?" Ron asks. "I mean, there's probably loads of black flowers in the forest, but how do we know that they are the black flowers?"

Hermione rolls her eyes. "I mean, there's one over there if you would have the patience to look around."

We turn towards the spot Hermione is talking about. A towering plant grows out of the ground, the size of a large bush. It's purple vine-like stem is covered in small spikes, and is moving on it's own. The flower's three petals are black, but in the center of them is one massive eye. The eye looks bloodshot, and it's pupil is pulsating.

"What the bloody hell is that!" Ron asks, disgusted by the plant before them.

"A black flower," Hermione explains, "Otherwise known as
unoluscus-flosmortem, which means 'one eyed death flower'. It's more commonly known as the black flower because it's easier to say. The spikes on it's stem are soaked in deadly poison. When a victim get's close enough to it, the three petals will grab them. It's pupil will then hollow out to show a mouth that resembles one of a leach. It will then swallow it's victim whole."

"Well that's... lovely," I swallow thickly, "Why do we need these again?"

"They are used to make very strong veritaserum," Hermione explains, "Black flowers are extremely rare, and very difficult to obtain."

"Then why do we need to collect them?" Ron asks.

Hermine shrugs. "Probably to restock the supply for the potions classroom."

"Before we deal with that," I say, gesturing to to monstrous plant, "We should probably get what we came for."

"Right," Hermione says," I brought a small vile to put the dew in. We just need to find some."

"It can't have touched sunlight in 7 days, right? So we need to find somewhere that is always shady." I reason.

"What about over there." Ron says, and we all turn to see where he's looking.