Safe

Harry's POV

I hate to admit it, but Draco makes an adorable ferret.

Curled up against a pillow on my bed, he looks to all the world like a small, peaceful creature. His pearly white fur stands out against the deep red bed sheets, making him look as though he is glowing. His ear twitches slightly in his sleep, making my smile softly. Let sleep take him away from his nightmare of a life.

It's been three weeks since we broke Draco out of his cage, and Umbridge is going mad. She seems more on edge, and her detentions grow harsher by the day.

The other professors seem uncomfortable. Even Snape is acting strangely, though he hides it quite well. He and Draco got along quite well. Maybe he's worried?

I let out a large sigh, slamming shut the book that I've been staring at for half an hour. I hear a small shift of fabric, and know that I've woken Draco up.

"Sorry," I say softly, and look up to find Draco's large, gray eyes staring at me from the bed.

He shakes his head slightly, before standing up. Draco walks forward a bit, before falling over.

"Draco? Are you alright?" I ask. I thought he was used to his animagus form...

Draco nods his head a bit, before trying to stand up again, only to fall back down. Maybe it's because he just woke up?

I reach onto the bed, picking ferret Draco up, before placing him down on the floor beside me. He looks kind of pissed, as though annoyed that I helped him, or that he needed help.

Draco's normally piercing gray eyes seem brighter, yet foggy. He leans on my leg, resigning himself to the fact that he can't walk.

I reach down an pet Draco's small head, and he flinches back suddenly, before moving into the warmth of my hand. His eyes flutter shut, and within minutes I think he's asleep again.

I reach for the book I was trying to read, one I need for some stupid charms essay. I flip through the pages rapidly , trying to find my page. That is, until I feel a small, sharp pain on my finger.

Looking down, I see a small paper-cut on my finger. It starts bleeding, and immediately Draco's head shoots up from my leg, looking bewildered.

Beside me, Draco starts shaking. Is he squeamish?

He's staring at my paper-cut, almost in a trance. Wait! No! He's a vampire you idiot!

I don't know what to do. He obviously needs blood, so do I just let him have the stuff on my finger? Do I go to Madam Pomfrey? Do I try and calm him down? Do all three?

Before I can make up my mind, Draco lunges at me. Well, lunges at my finger. His tongue laps up the blood almost greedily.

What the f*ck has my life become?

Draco's POV

I can barley comprehend what's happening.

I wake up from my nap with Harry slamming his book closed. When I try to move, however, my brain short-circuits, and I fall over. Quite embarrassing.

Then Harry picks me up and oh Merlin he smells amazing.

Due to the fact that I am now, well, a ferret, the Golden Trio decided that I probably don't need as much blood. Which, from an outside perspective, makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, I still have the same appetite as I would normally have.

So for the past three weeks I've been living off of even less blood then I need. Bloody fantastic.

I give up on trying to move, and rest my head against Harry's leg. I lean into his touch when he begins to stroke my head. Merlin this is weird.