Intermission

It was early in the morning, and all but two of the denizens of the hilltop church were already awake. In the lounge, by the notice board filled by a map and notes, stood the three intrepid explorers, bravers of the miasma and researchers of blood beads.

Louis, Yakumo and Luca had been searching the map for any places they might have missed while exploring the ruined city, for all of the springs lead them back there and they had already explored all the areas they could reach.

Though they had hit a stump and had every reason to be yell in frustration, they were still quiet while discussing only to be considerate of the man sleeping on the couch a couple feet away from them.

They've spent almost a whole day looking over the maps and their notes, sending pairs out to search the entire town stone by stone, and always came back almost empty handed. At least there was extra haze and materials to find, if nothing else.

This pointless grind started three days ago, ever since they had returned from the pit with an unconscious Mia. Speaking of her, she fell asleep once her condition improved and hasn't woken up since.

But since she was stable, the blood bead matter was more pressing.

Louis: And that's all we found, we also got some more beads from the spring under the cocoon.

Yakumo: These are getting more and more frustrating. Anyhow, my turn is over so I'm napping.

Walking to the couch, Yakumo gently slaps (Y/N)'s foot and (Y/N) twitches awake.

Yakumo: I'm borrowing your "bed", go explore or something.

(Y/N): Right...

Swapping places with the big man himself, (Y/N) gets up and straightens his clothes before gathering his things. Though his things were just the bayonet and fake mask.

(Y/N): So, where are we going today?

Luca: The city of course. Where else?

Louis: You two should focus on the path from here to the parking lot, that's the area we explored the least. If you turn up with nothing again, then...

Louis trails off, casting his gaze slightly down. Even the always serious Louis showed a hint of wear and distress. Maybe even fear.

But the atmosphere is short lived as Luca shoves a bowl of mixed grains and dried fruit into (Y/N)'s hands, and in the same breath she reassures Louis.

Luca: If we do come back empty handed, which we won't, we'll just have to look harder next time.

(Y/N): "Do it or work harder." Not great motivation, but her heart is in the right place.

Reveling in the light and sweet breakfast (Y/N) goes over the scenarios on his mind. Either the two of them came back triumphantly, with the way forward figured out, or they stay stuck in the current situation.

(Y/N): Anyhow, lets not waste any more daylight. Time to find some new areas.

Hopefully they wouldn't regret finding said new area...

Outside, going downhill

Luca: Hey, is it just me or was Murasame glaring at you?

(Y/N): Right, she's annoyed I took your bayonet when I lost my sword at the pit.

Luca: Why would that matter?

(Y/N): Something about me refusing to take one of her's when I got here. Merchants get pissed when people don't buy from them, not that I could ever pay for her things since I don't gather haze.