Chap. 6 - Not in the dark

By now, (Y/n) understood the rules fairly well, still she was no match for the rock-paper-scissors-Flower Fruit Mountain style Master. The score: twenty-five to two.
"Best out of thirty?" she asked.
"Just admit I won already."
"Okay okay, one last time and whoever wins this one wins it all."
"Fine."
"1, 2, 3-Seal!"
(Y/n) pressed one of the paper seals on Monkey's chest, making him fall on the ground mid-walk with a grunt. She laughed.
"You cheater!" he glared up at her. "Get this off me!"
"Sorry, sorry." she crouched and removed it. "It was too funny not to do."
"Oh I'll show you funny when I tie you to my staff and leave you hanging!" he sat up.
"Oop can't have that." she put it back on his chest and was ready to laugh again.
But to their surprise, the seal didn't work.

"Huh?" she tilted her head.
"Figured." Monkey said as he removed it himself and looked at it. "Powerful seals like these can't be used all the time. These must be one-use only."
"Oh, shouldn't use them wildly then."
He nodded before slowly turning his head towards her.
"Monkey. Come on, what did I just say?"
He smirked. (Y/n) quickly stood up and backed away while he took his time.
"Monkey?"
He didn't say anything, she gulped.

Hanging on the end of Monkey's staff by the back of her collar while he supported the other end on his shoulder, she blew on the paper seal placed in the middle of her forehead and blocking half of her face. The bottom lifted for a second before slowly going down again.
"When are you going to let me go?!" she asked, lightly bouncing around with every step he took. "I said you won!"
"Just wanna make sure you understand how it feels."
"It feels weird~, like I don't have arms or legs anymore!"
"Oh my lord! Demon!"

The two of them looked to the side where a rice field was. An old man stood in the middle of it, along with other farmers, and pointed at them with a shaky finger.
"Don't worry!" Monkey exclaimed, waving his hand and smiling. "She deserved it, just a friendly argument between friends!"
"It's fine! Don't worry I'm okay!" (Y/n) added.
Still a bit weirded out by the view, the farmers calmed down and went back to work, though they still followed them with their eyes.
'Wait.' (Y/n) realized. 'Did he just say we were friends?!'
She glanced back at him. She couldn't tell if he was serious or if he just said it so the farmer calmed down. She decided not to ask, thinking he'd probably laugh at her if she even asked, whatever his answer would be.

After a while, during which Monkey finally removed the paper seal, the two of them reach a village. The sun was setting so they went to the local inn for dinner, but unfortunately, there was no room left. They asked around but no one had one available for them. (Y/n) sighed in disappointment. Although she was now used to sleeping outside, she would still much rather sleep on an actual bed.
"Oh well." Monkey shrugged, not really bothered by this issue. "We'll just set camp here." he gestured to the marketplace they were walking through, now empty.
"Camp? I don't think starting a fire is allowed in places like these."
"Well then let's get out of here."
"Why? I'd rather stay safe within walls, even if I'll get cold."
"Nonsense." he pushed her towards the village's exit. "You'll freeze to death outside without a fire."
"On a summer night? I'll be fine."
But he ignored her.

Since they were surrounded by fields of all sorts, they set camp right in the middle of a road between two wheat fields. Which (Y/n) thought was ridiculous but Monkey insisted on it, since he obviously couldn't start a fire in the middle of the fields.
"What if a carriage passes by?" she asked as he started the fire.
"I'll just tell them to buzz off. You go to sleep already, it's getting late."
It was dark by now, and it made her think of how agitated he got at the thought of being locked up in a dark dungeon. It would explain why he was so eager to have a fire beside him while he slept.
Something in her mind clicked.
"Say," she said as she set up her blanket, using her bag as a pillow. "do you sleep?"
"'Course I sleep."
"Okay, let me rephrase that." she looked at him, his back facing her. "When do you sleep?"