going...

ashton's high school graduation.

My throat was almost numb from the menthol in the pack of cigarettes I'd been working on all day

My throat was almost numb from the menthol in the pack of cigarettes I'd been working on all day. I hated the pressure of days like this. I hated having to be around my parents all day and pose for photos. The only saving grace was that my brother was coming home today to take part in the celebration and that meant the boys would be coming too.

They were the most irritating group of boys I'd ever met but they knew exactly how to turn in the charm which meant my mother would be too distracted to bitch at me all day. If she only knew what they were really like, she'd have them arrested in a heartbeat.

They were each single-handedly responsible for every habit I've acquired that she hates. They've gotten me into more trouble than I can even begin to explain and we've only known them a little over a year. Smoking, drinking, gambling, and sex...they were all devils in disguise.

The direct sun was hot and bright, it really ruined the pissy vibe I was going for while I finished my last cigarette, grinding the ashes into the curb outside of the Circle K.

I stood quickly, dusting any dirt off of the back of my dress. I pulled the sweet mint gum from my purse and shoved two sticks in my mouth before covering myself with an obnoxious amount of body spray that would do very little to hide the smell on me. Oh well.

The gravel in the parking lot crunched under my Nike slides as I made my way to the driver's side of my black 1967 beetle. I threw my purse in first, and then hauled my body in behind it, feeling the old car move with me.

I let out a slow deep breath as I pressed my head to the steering wheel and then got the courage to tip my head enough that I could see the black graduation gown laying over the back of the passenger seat.

"Come on Ash, let's just get this shit show over with," I said to my reflection in the rearview mirror.

I flush my head back against the headrest to let out on last exasperated "UGGGHHHHHHHH," and then I drove off towards my shit hole of a high school

...

The ceremony was very long and painfully boring. The white wedge sandals my mother insisted I change into almost killed me going down the stairs after getting my diploma, unfortunately, they didn't kill me though and now I've arrived at my uncle's house for the party portion of this never-ending day.

I watched Liam come running down the driveway, looking way too excited about my arrival which could only mean one thing... "ASH! Come here! Look what I got you for graduation!" I stepped out of my beautiful beetle slowly and made my way toward the large white van my brother is so proudly standing by.

"You got me a cargo van? Wow Li, thanks! That's what every girl hopes for when she graduates high school!" My voice is dripping with sarcasm which just makes him smile wider until he finally reaches for the handle of the van and pulls the door open, revealing none other than "the boys" all crammed together and laughing way too hard.