xv.

| 08:34 pm

+ aera.

Swinging the door open, i kicked off my shoes near the shoe rack. reaching for the light switch, i flipped it on and the dim lights immediately give a relaxing vibe to me. after another day at work, i finally took a deep breathe, tugging on the scrunchie of my bun and letting my hair down. I walked to the kitchen, “fucking hell letting out a hushed yelp, i put a hand over my chest, the shock almost giving me a heart attack, “language, aera.”

“mom! don't scare me like that.” my mother just made a face before sipping on her tea, “when did you arrived? you should've told me so i could pick you up.” i approached her on the counter, briefly giving her a hug. She smiles when we parted, “i landed earlier and i wanted to surprise you. i thought im going to see you bringing a man over here, too bad you didnt.” shaking my head in amusement, i walked towards the fridge to grab a carton of milk. I halted and froze for a second when i realized she could've seen jaehyun if only i didnt declined his offer to walk me up here. so, how did your trip went? she grins at me before answering, you know, fun. i raised an eyebrow at her, expecting she'd belt out her experiences from her half-a-year out of the country trip instead of a short response. just the usual trip; fun, tiring, memorable, a few unexpected things and all. but heyit seems to me you're having fun in here also. gulping hard, i averted my attention to filling my glass of milk slowly before bringing it up to my lips, pssh what do you mean?

“i want to meet that guy on your pictures.” my eyes widens in surprise, almost choking on the milk, “what guy?” my mother raised a brow when i acted clueless “that guy you married months ago..” shit. “whahow..?” she chuckled at my dumbfounded expression, “i know how to use Instagram, aera.” she retorted, “i've seen all of your photos together. and chaeyoung is really supportive to the point that most of her IG stories were pictures of you and your husband.” i shut my eyes momentarily, of course. why am i dumb? and so forgetful? “so..uh, arent you going to nag at me?” i trailed off, readying myself for a series of profanities when i heard her chuckle, “what's the use? you already did it.” i sucked in a breathe, pressed that she's not acting the way i expected her to, “mom, i got married! married! like, i got married. she nodded with a weirded out face, “yeah i know. so?”

“you're not mad? i got married without your consent!”

“you're an adult already. you're your own person, you have the right to make decisions.”

“so.. it's fine? we're okay?” i squinted my eyes at her, examining her face. my mother let out a laugh, “of course. actually, im really happy you didnt end up with the other boy.”

“ugh, don't remind me of him. that jerk cheated on me months ago.” she gasps in surprise, “see? i told you he's a jerk.” i chuckle at her statement, reminded of that time i added a photo of my ex and i on my story and she deadass replied 'i dont like him, he looks like an asshole to me.' After placing the carton of milk back on the fridge, I hopped on the highchair next to her. she had this excited smile on her face as she looks at me, “what?”

“so..this husband of yours, what's your love story like?” ugh of course she'd ask questions like this. she's a sucker for love stories. “i got drunk, he approached. he initiated the talking, i replied. he proposed a marriage, i acceptedall of that in one night.” i narrate in a monotone voice and her eyes widened, almost dropping the glass she has in her hand, “what!?” wincing, i leaned back from her. “i was tipsy so i kind of went along with it.” her jaw fell and i try hard not to make an eye contact, “oh my god, aera!!” my mother exclaimed before suddenly laughing. I blinked as i stare at her for a couple of seconds then she tries to stiffle her laugh, “god, that was epic.” my brows furrowed, “so.. you're still not going to nag at me?” my mother huff, waving her hand, “that shit is soooo cool!!”

language, mother. she jokingly glared at me, putting  an elbow on the counter before propping her head on her hand, but im hurt that you didnt invite me. i rolled my eyes playfully, i thought of inviting you but like.. you were in the middle of your trip, probably half-the-globe away that time. she reaches up to tuck my hair behind the ear, i'd drop everything for you. mirroring the smile on her face, i'll make sure to remember that and invite you to the official wedding.. i cracked a joke while holding her hand and she gasps delightedly, just kidding.

you like him.. she claimed and all i could answer is a shrug, i could tell you no, but that would be a big lie. the girl across me gave a worried smile, what's stopping you then?

it's not mutual.

_

it was nice meeting you, jaehyun. thanks for the flowers, by the way. my mother smiles warmly at the man beside me it was a pleasure to meet you, maam. she rolls her eyes playfully, ah, what did i tell you about calling me that? just call me 'aunt' okay? jaehyun sheepishly smiles, looking down ah, right. sorry. patting jaehyun's shoulder, she shot me a look, im entrusting my daughter to you, she's a handful and annoying but be patient with her. jaehyun then looks down on me so i had to stop making faces at my mother, i will. don't worry, auntie.

i'll get going now, okay? i hope to do this again with the both of you. we bid our 'see you again' to my mother, hugging her before she drives off with her luggage because she's going to visit her cousin on the countryside.

We were left standing outside the restaurant, thanks for agreeing to this. i stated, turning to him. jaehyun slung an arm around me, why not? i wanted to meet your mother for some time now, good thing she visited and wanted to meet me too.

you took half a day off your work, im sure your schedule would be packed as hell tomorrow. he grin at my worried face, if you feel bad.. how about you make it up to me now? my expression changed, now sporting an unamused face, what do you want? pulling my body closer to his, he answers, hmm, a date? my heart dropped for a moment, then beating thrice as fast right after, a date?” i croaked, just making sure i heard it right mhm. will you let me take you on a date?

let's go on a date then.