𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓮 𝟗𝟒

❈✱❉✤❈✱❉

Astrid's mind felt heavy, as if it was blanketed by a dense fog that refused to diffuse. Her eyelids were heavy, too, and although she found herself frequently drifting in and out of consciousness-- sometimes in pain, other times in blissful serenity-- never once did her eyes open. She had enough clarity of thought to realize drowsily that she was stuck in an induced coma to help her body heal.

She was frequently aware of a person sitting beside her, sometimes holding her hand, other times keeping their distance as if hesitant. Astrid knew instinctively that this person was Anakin. Periodically, Anakin's presence would be replaced by Ahsoka or Obi-Wan coming to check on her, but mostly Anakin stayed by her side.

One night as Astrid drifted between consciousness, head just barely above the water of dreamless sleep, she heard hushed voices coming from somewhere to the right of her-- Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Obi-Wan was saying, "Luke and Leia prefer to sleep together in one crib rather than in their own separate cribs. I think it's a twin thing."

Anakin laughed softly, and a moment later Astrid heard a cheerful bubble of baby's laughter. "They're perfect," Anakin said quietly as if to himself.

"Why I suppose you would say that," Obi-Wan remarked dryly. "But they're quite noisy, fussy little ones, especially that Luke. I've lost countless nights of sleep."

Suddenly, one of the twins began to cry, and the baby's sound of distress was enough for Astrid to emerge from her dreamless slumber. It felt as if her eyelids were covered in sticky molasses as she pried her eyes open. Astrid shifted her legs, and the movement was met with a dull throb of pain that was tolerable enough. Nevertheless, a low grunt escaped Astrid.

Anakin was beside her bed in an instant.

He grasped one of her hands in his as he said softly, "You're awake. Don't try to move too much, Astrid. You're still healing." He felt her forehead with the back of his hand as if checking for a fever before his eyes dipped back down to her face. "How are you feeling?"

"Tired," Astrid murmured. "But I don't want to sleep anymore. I want--"

She trailed off as she tried to sit up, and when a small grimace involuntarily crossed her face, Anakin gently pushed her back down as he suggested quietly, "You should stay lying down. I don't think you're ready to stand yet."

Astrid looked up at him, and she found herself caught in his mesmerizing blue eyes as their eyes met. Her breath hitched as it always seemed to do when she was near him, especially since it had been so long since she'd actually been with him.

The abrupt sound of a baby's cry brought them both of the trance they'd locked themselves in, and Astrid quickly looked over to where the cribs were located. She saw that Obi-Wan was no longer in the room. She frowned.

As if guessing her thoughts, Anakin told her, "He went to get some more medical supplies when he saw that you had awoken." One of the twins gave another wail, and Astrid immediately started to sit up again, her motherly instincts kicking in at the sound.

But Anakin stopped her yet again with a hand on her shoulder and told her softly, "Don't try to sit up. I'll bring them here to you."

He rose to his feet and headed towards the cribs. Astrid let out a long breath as she moved the pillows behind her to prop herself up. When she twisted back to face forward again, Anakin was crouching down beside her, and tucked within the crook of each of his arms were Leia and Luke.

Leia was fast asleep, her soft face set in a demure expression, while Luke was wide awake, nose scrunched up as he fussed in Anakin's arms. Astrid couldn't help the smile that overtook her face as she reached for Luke, who seemed to require more of her attention at the moment.