Burying The Hatchet

Chapter 70

Queen Elora
Nevoria

Oren was obsessed with Elora. It was not something that could be hidden, as it was was deeply evident. When he found out he broke out joyfully, could not sleep that day, made the queen stay up to tell him everything she knew about his daughter.

Over the days, he then went wild with the idea of being a father. He bought a lot of girly material so that dozens upon dozens of clothes would be sewn for Elora. Then thinking again, he realised that Elora had lived much of a privileged life materially, thus he decided to donate all the garments he bought.

The second time he purchased dark toned material and instructed the seamstresses to knit clothes that would be light for Elora's movements. The clothes were similar to Ruo Xi's taste, a dressing up that was more of man's type. Oren thought that this way Elora would fit in with the students Oren had, as they were all male.

The only person the queen was introduced to by Oren was Ruo Xi. She was a pleasant student of Oren, good mannered and proper, and would help watching over Elora when the queen was gone.

Oren also considered building a courtyard for Elora, but then decided against it as in the palace she had her own quarters as an imperial concubine. He then thought it good for her to sleep in the sharing halls with the other students.

However, Queen Elora found it disgusting that Elora would share a sleeping place with male students, while Oren insisted that Ruo Xi would sleep next to her and it was the best way for Elora to experience the childhood that had been stolen from her.

She was going to have to make friends, make long lasting memories, be bullied and learn to stand up for herself among the others. His deepest intention was to allow Elora the space for her to be a child and grow. From a young age the responsibility of a nation had been cast on her and she was never actually allowed to live and grow well.

In Nevoria, children got married as young as fourteen but in Furia, children normally started getting married in their twenties.

Elora had gotten better since the arrival of her mother. The queen focused on looking after her personally, washing her and making sure she was always in clean clothing and presentable. For her safe recovery, they still had her unconscious so that the body would put all its effort on getting Elora replenished.

"Don't you think she looks like me? The eyes, the nose..." Oren cooed at Elora. The garment he currently wore was of the same material as that Elora had on, a beautiful charcoal shade of grey.

They sat by her bedside, each on opposite sides and looking at their beloved daughter. She was so precious more than the treasures of the world. Her worth could not be compared to anything.

"We all know she is a replica of her mother," Queen Elora teased.

Oren chuckled. "No, the more I look at her, the more I see myself in her. She even knows how to fight like her father, has my temper, though I have to admit that she has the heart of her mother."

Queen Elora blushed ruefully. "Still the charmer, are you?"

It was nice that ever since he found out about the news, he started being kind to her, a big difference to when she came in. When she asked him about it, he dismissed it with the fact that he did not want to be mean to the mother of his child. He wanted to be an inspiration to Elora concerning the kind of man she would one day marry; a man who was noble, respectful, descent and chaste.

His words were sweet coming from a father, yet from a lover they indeed hurt. She was just "someone's mother," and that was where the kindness came from, not for her as a person.

"As long as the man is not the emperor, I am happy," the queen had commented, and Oren had laughed.

"Hong'er is for sure not a good candidate. Among all my students, I have never met a bully like him, but if it is who Elora will choose, a father has to please his daughter's wishes and make them come true."

Queen Elora rolled her eyes just thinking of it, over her dead body would that happen. It looked like Elora was definitely 'Fuqin's girl'. (daddy's girl)

"Her hair is not blonde like yours." Oren ran his hand through his dark brown locks bringing the queen back from her reverie.

"Elora was born blonde like me, but her hair darkened overtime while at the root it stayed blonde. Then when she drank the potion she took on your color completely."

"She is beautiful both ways, that I'm sure of."

The queen smiled. Leaving Elora with her father was the biggest blessing she would give to her daughter. With him, Elora was going to be completely safe. Later on, Oren promised that he would send her to Furia for she was not in good health to travel as of yet.

On the day Elora relapsed and the queen confessed to Oren, they had realised that the dip in health was Elora's body preparing to peak up due to the time the queen had transferred energy into her. In other words, the alert about Elora dying had been an false alarm as it was her body just shifting and switching on to recover from it's intense redundancy.

"Do you know when you will tell her that you are her father?"

"I have been thinking about it. I think I don't want to impose who I am to her just so that she can love me. Growing a relationship with her first and telling her afterwards would be wise."

"That is a good idea, indeed."

"Or maybe we could tell her together when I bring her to Furia?"

The queen softened. "That's kind of you. I will be waiting, but do not force her to come to me. I want her to come because she wants to meet me. Remember that she has been enslaved all her life, thus try to give her as much freedom as possible, otherwise she will panic."

"Nothing to worry about. She will be the most spoiled kitten that she will hate me for it."

Queen Elora nodded to her awaiting team at the door, signaling them to get ready for their departure, to which they dispersed in preparation.

She started to kiss Elora with fluffy kisses all over her face, feeling teary.

"I love you, little girl." Another rain of kisses. "Be a good girl and listen to Fuqin, respect him and give him all the honour." She lightly caressed Elora's hair back. "Come home soon, your people are waiting for you and I will be setting things in order for your reign."

The queen choked on her tears and a wave of anxiety and hatred of her situation swarmed her that she burst into heavy sobs.

She did not want to be separated from her again, her baby was only nineteen, forced to grow so early by the harsh reality of circumstances. What she needed now was love from both of her parents. Leaving her was like pins on her heart, the short reconciliation making it difficult to part again.

She wanted her baby with her. "I can't do it, I can't leave," she weakly stated.

Strong arms of Oren patted her back and graciously helped her to stand. He then took her into a tight hug, understanding what she was feeling and going through.

However, that moment of intimacy was a mistake for a woman in a vulnerable position as her. His air around her and the strong arms that spoke of protection made her lose her senses.

The queen felt tipsy with the wave of memories, nostalgic, pining and yearning. The absence of Oren was a dagger that hung in her for years.

"Can I kiss you?" she boldly asked as they untangled, but Oren sadly smiled, his huge hand cupping her cheek and keeping her in place from him.

"I guess it is too soon," she shyly muttered, surprised with herself as she did not remember when was the last time she experienced that desire.

He shrugged in response, more so agreeing with her statement.

"I will be in the Capital for a few more days before officially leaving. I am curious to know what has been going on with Nevoria."

He nodded in agreement.

And that was their goodbye, till then.

S.V