19)

Y/N's P.O.V.

"I wish I had taken your earlier offer and let you handle this alone." I muttered, not agreeing with what we were doing at all.
Breaking into a New Republic high-security prison was not something I particularly wanted to get caught doing.

"Calculations complete." Zero announced as both Mando and I watched carefully.
Mando didn't want the droid screwing with his ship and I didn't want to be alone with the others, so we found ourselves stood by the door to the cockpit.
"Jumping to hyperspace now." There was a moment of silence, before the droid spoke up again.
"Feel free to join the others. I will handle it from here." Mando turned to go down to the hanger and I did the same. He went down first and as I was going down, there was a bang.
Burg let out a grunt as Mando stopped him going into the sleeping chamber, and I knew it wouldn't end well if they found the child.

"Hey, hey, hey. Okay, I get it. I'm a little particular about my personal space too. Let's just do this job. We get in, we get out, you two don't have to see our faces anymore." Mayfeld spoke calmly and for the first time since I met him, I didn't want to kill him.

"Tell me why we even need a Mandalorian." Burg looked down on Mando.

"Well, apparently, they're the greatest warriors in the galaxy... or so they say." Mayfeld shrugged.

"Then why are they all dead?" Once again, everyone except Mando and I laughed.

"You've flown with him Xi'an. Is he as good as they say?" Mayfeld asked his friend and I watched Burg carefully.

"Ask him about the job on Alzoc-3." The Twi'lek spoke.

"I did what I had to." Mando muttered softly, almost sounding sad. Xi'an laughed in response.

"Oh, but you liked it." She grinned and I looked at her carefully.
"See, I know who you really are." She made eye contact with me and it made me feel uneasy.

"He never takes off the helmet?" Mayfeld asked and I realised this guy really had too many questions.

"This is the way." Xi'an tried to mimic Mando's voice making the whole situation was just embarrassing.
I was used to Mando being the type of person who didn't let people disrespect him or his ship, but here he was, faced with people from his past and they were mocking everything about him, from his ship to his culture and he did nothing.

"I wonder what you look like under there." Mayfeld muttered.
"Maybe he's a Gungan. Is that way yousa don't wanna show your face?" Burg laughed loudly as Mayfeld turned to Xi'an.
"You ever seen his face?"

"A lady never tells." She gasped and I rolled my eyes.

"Aw. Come on, Mando. We all got a trust each other, here." Mayfeld tried.
"You gotta show us something. Come on, just lift that helmet up. Let us all see your eyes."

"I'll do it." Burg stepped forward, but without even thinking about it, so did I.
It just made the Devaronian laugh and try to push me out of the way. When I didn't move, he seemed to get mad and try to hit me, instead, I used his own strength against him, knocking him back. In the process, he hit they keypad for the sleeping chamber and the child was awake, looking at us with wide eyes.

"Woah. What is that?" Mayfeld stepped forward towards the child.
"Wait a minute. Did you two make that?" He looked between Mando and Xi'an, making the Twi'lek laugh.
"What is it? Like a pet or something?"

"Yeah. Something like that." Mando muttered and I just looked at him in disbelief.

"I didn't take you as the type." Xi'an smirked, moving closer to Mando.
"Maybe that code of yours has made you soft. Or maybe its her.'' She looked at me with a smirk.

"Me, I was never really into pets." Mayfeld sighed.
"Yeah, I didn't have the temperament, you know? I mean, I tried, but it never worked out. But I'm thinkin'... maybe I'll try again with this little fella." Mayfeld picked up the child and Mando took a cautious step forward. He pretended to drop the child, causing both Mando and I to flinch.

"Dropping out of hyperspace now." Zero announced loudly, the ship shaking slightly.
"Commencing final approach now. Cloaking signal now." The ship turned completely, causing us all to fall. I heard the child scream, but I couldn't see him anywhere. We wasn't with Mayfeld and I was definitely ready to kill him in that moment.
"Engaging coupling now... coupling confirmed, we are down." I pulled myself to my feet, seeing that Mando had the child and I let out a sigh of relief, going over to see if the baby was alright.

"He's ok." Mando muttered, before placing him back in the sleeping chamber.

"Useless droid didn't even give us a proper countdown." Xi'an snarled.

"Z, are you sure they can't see us?" Mayfeld asked.

"The Razor Crest is scrambling our signature and I am inside the prison system." Zero spoke clearly.
"It's impressive that this gunship has survived the Empire without being impounded."

"Alright. We got a job to do. Mando, you're up."