Chapter 1

"Hey, did you guys hear?"

The Detective Boys were once again gathered around their desks and waiting for class to begin. Ayumi, Genta, and Mitsuhiko always had the tendency to talk endlessly while Conan and Haibara would idly listen, only really talking when they got dragged into the conversation. Normally, the topics would range from talk about the new Kamen Yaiba episode to discussions of new possible cases. However, today was slightly different. 

"There's supposed to be a new student in our class today!" Ayumi told the others, successfully gaining their attention.

"Another one?!" Genta exclaimed. At this point, transfer students seemed to practically be flocking to their class.

"Yup!" Ayumi confirmed. "I overheard Kobayashi-sensei speaking with another teacher about it!"

The three children of the group went on to make theories about what the new transfer student would look or be like. The two shrunken teenagers, on the other hand, just quietly listened in. They weren't really all too concerned about it. While their own cases of transferring were out of the norm, so to say, actual transfer students weren't all that strange. 

"So, do you know their name?!"

"Ah, that's right!" Ayumi remembered. "It's-"

The girl was cut off by the sound of the door to the classroom opening, and in walked Kobayashi-sensei along with a young girl who held a surprisingly calm expression for someone in her position. Practically the entire class was staring at her in excitement, but she didn't falter in her steps and only smiled in their direction as she stood rather confidently next to their teacher. 

"Alright, everyone," Kobayashi-sensei started with a smile. "Meet your new classmate, Furuya Reiko! Please be kind to her!"

Edogawa Conan, who had previously not been paying attention, practically sputtered when he finally took in the sight of what was, to him, a very familiar girl. Her appearance was the same as ever and stood out with her long blonde hair that contrasted against her dark skin. It wasn't all that hard to recognize her. 

Especially since she was practically his little cousin…

As they tried to find out where to seat the girl, Haibara turned her head to look over at her seatmate. "Do you know her or something?"

"Something like that…" Conan laughed dryly as he tried to keep his voice down so nobody would overhear their conversation. It wasn't as though he didn't get along with the blonde. She was actually one of the few children that he could get along with easily. Which, in hindsight, was probably a good thing considering how often he used to have to babysit her.

"Is she a need for concern?"

Conan paused. That… well, that was a rather difficult question… "Not in the way you might think." He finally responded to which Haibara raised a brow. "She's…" he sighed, shaking his head in slight exasperation. "She's basically a magnet when it comes to trouble…"

It was true. While Reiko was fairly mature for her age, she had a tendency to find herself in all sorts of dangerous and/or strange situations. And, of course, Reiko seemed to not have any problem with it. Conan was honestly starting to believe that the girl's eccentric mother was partially to blame. He couldn't help but shiver a bit when he remembered the times he had been babysat by the woman as a child. That woman was probably more eccentric than both his parents combined which was quite a feat in and of itself. 

Those were some dark times indeed. 

"So she's like you," Haibara surmised with a small smirk that made the detective glare at her with an annoyed stare.