Old Love and New Confidence

Eleanor woke up to the familiar throbbing pain in her head as she groaned, reaching for her medicine.

Ever since her accident all those years ago, she's grown accustomed to the occasional headaches.

After closing her eyes for a moment to let the pain subside, Eleanor slowly got out of bed and made her way to the dresser.

    She looked down to find a note with barely legible handwriting, indicating that the person writing it was in a rush.

Ellie,
   I have to take care of some stuff, but I'll be back soon. Thought you could use some rest after last night. I'll be back though, so don't worry about me.

Your favorite brother,
Five

   Eleanor smiled to herself as she read the note, thankful for being able to sleep in. After getting dressed, she finally made her way downstairs, just as Diego was coming in.

   "Hey Di, listen about last night..." Eleanor began reaching a hand up to her neck, but stopped when she remembered that her beloved necklace was missing.

   "What's wrong?" Diego asked as he stepped closer to her and she hesitated before deciding to tell him the truth.

   "My necklace, I lost it last night." She said sadly, choosing not to divulge the details.

   Suddenly, Diego opened his hand, dangling Eleanor's precious necklace between his fingers. Her eyes immediately lit up as she walked closer to him.

   "Where did you find it?" She exclaimed happily as she gave him a big hug, which Diego gladly accepted.

   "Gimbel Brother's. There was a shoot out there. You're lucky I found it before the cops did." He finished and Eleanor found herself unable to make eye contact with him. Diego looked at her before deciding to temporarily change the subject.

   "Didn't realize you still kept the necklace after all these years. How old were we when I gave it you?" He asked, hoping to relive the memory.

"We must have been 13 or so. It was right after Five left. When you gave it to me you said it was a reminder we'd always be together, no matter what." Eleanor said with smile and Diego looked down guiltily.

"Sorry I couldn't keep that promise." He apologized and she shrugged. "It's ok." She lied, sadly.

   Eleanor went to grab the necklace, but Diego quickly stopped her before she could reach it. 

   "Turn around." Diego ordered and he delicately pushed her hair onto her shoulder. He gingerly clasped the necklace on her, having his hands linger for a moment before he he spoke up again.

"So, want to tell me what you were doing at Gimbel Brother's last night?" He finally asked and Eleanor sighed, her back still facing him.

"I wasn't. I was hanging out with Five, catching up." She said, fabricating the truth.

   "Listen, whatever it is that your caught up in, it's dangerous. A man connected to it died yesterday." Diego warned, referring to the kind man from Griddy's that Eleanor and Five met. Eleanor was immediately filled with a sense of guilt, catching Diego's attention.