Chapter 4- Hard Truth

"So, you're human now?" Alex asked me as he sat down at his dinner table, or should I say my dining table. Alex and Jepsy didn't change much of the house in the 8 years I have been gone. They definity have added a few personal touches but otherwise this was still the house I left behind.

"So, you've heard?" I counter, my face barely moving a muscle. I may be human now but I spent 1000 years as a vampire which means my mannerisms that I have acquired in that time are still prominent. Alex's face faltered for just a second, I almost didn't notice, my reflexes were not as great as they were when I was a vampire, but I definitely noticed it.

"You are still like I remember, even with being more fragile," he responded with a chuckle. My laughs making my stomach hurt was an unfamiliar experience.

The others had stayed outside on the porch to give us a few moments to speak. However, I know that Damon could hear every word. Vampire hearing, something I actually miss.

"Erikah, you were here one day and gone the next without even a goodbye," Alex said to me as his voice grew solem.

"I don't need permission to do as I please, I never did," I retorted sitting up straighter. He was upset, I am sure they all were.

"Erikah! I'm not saying you should have asked permission. I'm just asking for a little heads up! Like, I don't know 'Hey guys, miss you, I might die, be prepared, love you' Any of that would have worked." He responded. I could tell he had some pent up anger that he has harbored towards me.

"Alex...." I started

"Don't Alex me. You were running this town and then you didn't even give a clue you weren't coming back! This town was in RUINS! Straight chaos! The werewolves tried to take over. We lost some important people, like my MOTHER!" Alex raged as he stood up from the table and started to pace back and forth. I cringed when he said the last part, Amelia was dead because of me; because of my actions. The immense wave of guilt felt like it was going to crush my chest.

"I'm sorry Erikah, you should go," Alex murmured as he left the room and I sat there speechless. In all my years, I can't remember the last time I couldn't find the right words; or any words for that matter.

It was only a few moments before I heard a soft voice call my name. I looked up from the table to see Damon standing at the entrance of the kitchen.

"I think we have overstayed our welcome," He murmured, walking up closer to me. I could see the look of what I can guess was pity or sadness in his eyes.

"Damon, I think it's time for us to leave." I told him with a small smile. I didn't want to talk about it, at all. I hope he got the message. I stood up quickly and strolled out of the kitchen towards the porch.

"Trudie, Kalvin, I think it's time me and Damon carry on," I told them as I opened the door to the porch. I could see Kalvin's seldom face, I knew he either heard Alex or already knew what Alex was going to say. 

"I will be back this time, I promise," I told Trudie as I hugged her and Damon gave Kalvin a handshake.

"You are always welcomed," Kalvin told me with a slight smile. The fact that I need to be welcomed back to a city I created was a punch to the gut.

Damon and I began to walk back towards the border.

"Do you want to talk about it?"  Damon asked as the energy of the border began to become more and more prominent.

"Not really, just a hard truth that I have to face. I hurt a lot of people, more then I thought I would so let's just leave it at that," I told him as I passed the barrier leaving the town I created behind.

"Well, do your witchy magic and get us out of this forest. All I can smell for miles is pine needles" Damon gestured around him.

I close my eyes and felt the energy build up. I pictured the place I wanted to go, the Mikaelsson mansion in New Orleans. I needed to see my brothers, maybe they will be happy to see me.

I released the energy and opened my eyes to see Damon and I standing in front of the Mikaelson mansion and right next to Damon was the pillar with the crested M on it.

"Uh, Erikah, I'm not too sure about this." Damon told me as he looked up and saw where we were.

"Damon, it will be fine......hopefully," I added after a thought. Alex did not react the way I thought he would. What if Klaus and Elijah also blame me for everything?

I slowly entered the compound, hoping my brothers were actually here. The only thing I did notice was how quiet it was, I know I was not a vampire anymore but as a human I think I would be able to hear something. Finally, I heard the first sound, a tiny giggle just up ahead.

I saw a small head look up towards the entrance of the compound from the corner. Her eyes went wide as she stared at my face. The small head belonged to a small child, and if I would have to guess this would be Hope.

"Hello, I'm Erikah," I told her as I slowly approached her. This girl is the first tribrid ever, I didn't want to freak her out. I was much more fragile now

"I know who you are," Hope responded as she crossed her arms.

The next thing I knew I was being flung backwards. I landed roughly and heard Damon grunt a little too and I realized I was in his arms. He quickly moved and I was now behind Damon.

"Are you alright? I didn't mean to be so rough," Damon asked me as he kept one arm out in front of me. I nodded as I tried to get my eyes on why he flung me back and when I saw it I understood.

Standing there was a woman with the signature Mikaelson blonde hair and matching eyes. She was standing in front of Hope, in what I assumed was a protective stance.

"Rebekah," Damon said as he held his hands up.

"Ah, Damon Salvatore, always a pleasure," Rebekah responded with a smirk.

"And who the bloody hell are you," She added as her eyes narrowed on me.

"Erikah.....Erikah Mikaelson," I stated as she took a step forward.