vi. game of thrones

chapter 6 - game of thrones

All five of Dakota's senses overwhelmed her as she stood on the sidelines of the makeshift arena, trapped in nothing but the intensifying atmosphere of anxiety and trepidation.

All she could feel, was the unmistakable thumping of her beating heart, mixed with the metaphorical hairs that were standing up on the back of her neck.

All she could hear, was the loud rambunctious crowd and the sound of war drums contributing to the overall premonition.

All she could taste, was the bitter and metallic flavor of her own blood seeping onto her tongue from biting her bottom lip so hard in anticipation.

All she could smell, was the overpowering air that oddly reeked of vindication, determination, and quite possibly, peer pressure.

However, even with all of those unfortunate things lingering in existence, what really made Kota sick to her stomach was the sight that was currently displayed in front of her.

All she could see, was Lexa—her only sister—standing beside a man whom she was about to fight to the death with. The thought of the fight involving a man against a woman was not the issue for her like it would've been several months ago. No, what was really making her grow wary, was the fact that this fight was supposed to be to the death, meaning someone was going to die today. The question was, would it end up being her beloved older sister? Or would it end up being the other warrior who was only fighting for a chance to finally gain freedom and respect from his mother and people?

Only time would tell...

The rowdy and excited cheering came to a sudden halt, once Titus raised his hand to silence them. "In single combat there is only one rule." He bellowed amongst the crowd and onlookers. "Someone must die today." He then turned to face the two warriors before him and begrudgingly sighed. "You may begin."

The people cheered once more as Prince Roan unsheathed his sword. The man quickly looked toward his mother, who only nodded at him from her seat next to Titus. Meanwhile, Lexa walked over to the sidelines and gave Kota her pauldron and cape.

The Commander had only looked up for a brief second, but yet, she still managed to catch sight of the expression on her sister's face. Dakota was standing straight with her head held high, however, Lexa knew her all too well now after spending so much time with her. She could read her like a book even if the girl took after her when it came to hiding emotions.

"What's wrong, ai strisis?"

"Nothing." Kota gave her a half-smile, avoiding her eyes. "Don't worry about me."

Lexa tilted her head and gave her a look. "I'll always worry about you, Kota." She told her sincerely, before reaching out and forcing her to look up. "But you mustn't worry about this fight, alright? I know it's scary to think about, but if I shall die today, just remember that I'll always be with you. Even if you choose not to become the next Commander, you'll never loose me. Not again..."