8

Before I can convince myself otherwise, I pull his face down to my level, and kiss him
-
-
-

The doors to the main entrance of the castle are wide open, and it takes me a minute to process the view in front of me. The dark night lights up from the glow emitting from the inside of the castle. The ground of the entryway is made of stone, each piece placed deliberately, forming an intricate cobblestone pattern. The stone covers the ground, up until you reach a gigantic set of stairs leading up to an elegant stained glass mural. It's a big circle with the well-known logo of all the houses put together in four quadrants in the center. At the top of the stairs, on each side, are sets of stairs leading to somewhere else I can't see from this angle.

"I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing this," Hermione sighs.

"I know how you feel," I reply.

Our year starts moving towards the entrance and filing into the building.

It's strange, as soon as I step inside everything feels so familiar. I remember where everything is located, where my classes are, and how to get there from where I'm standing, even though I've never been here with my conscious mind before.

We head up the giant stairs, and once we reach the top, we take the other set of stairs on the right. I somehow remember that this is the way to the Great Hall.

I guess I should start looking for my Slytherin friends, since there are no mixing houses in the Great Hall, at least for the first night feast.

I spot Draco talking with Pansy a little ways away, and I'm instantly filled with a strange pang of annoyance and anger.

I recall memories of her and I getting into arguments, each one over Draco. Not fighting over who gets to have him, because I'm almost certain I've never had real feelings towards him, but the arguments were usually me telling her to piss off because she wouldn't get off of Draco's back, no matter how many times he tried rejecting her.

From the uncomfortable look on his face right now, it seems as if he's trying to get her to leave him alone. A protective instinct washes over me, and I feel a burning need to get her away from him.

I guess I never really understood the depth of Draco's and my friendship before, but from the feelings I'm getting now, I'm thinking we're a lot closer than I originally realized. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if we look out for each other more than we look out for anyone else.

I finally reach them and it takes all the strength and self-control I have to not slap this bitch all the way to Chinatown.

"C'mon Draco, just give me a chance. I can give you more than she c-"

"Hey Pissy, I don't know if your brain is too small to comprehend the number of times Draco has rejected you, but this is now borderline harassment. So, I suggest you take your musty self elsewhere, and find someone who actually wants to deal with you and your yellow teeth," I interrupt Pansy in the calmest, yet most patronizing voice I can manage.

"First of all, my name is not Pissy, it's Pansy. Second of all, Draco was just telling me how much he's missed me all summer, and how he wants to break up with you and date me inst-,"

I cut her off with a burst of laughter. I can't seem to contain myself, and I'm practically on the ground from laughing so hard. I'm having trouble catching my breath, and tears are overflowing from my eyes.

I look up and she has a dumbfounded expression on her face, which just causes me to laugh even harder.

Once I'm finally able to stand up straight and contain the laughter, I look her dead in the eyes.

"Panther, if you even had an ounce of intelligence in that pea-sized brain of yours, you would realize that the words 'stay away from me' do not mean the same as 'keep on harassing me and kissing my ass because eventually I'll lower my standards and ask you out',"

I refrain from correcting her on me and Draco being a couple, because that would probably just give her more confidence in thinking he'd eventually go for her.

"For the last time, it's Pansy! You're gonna regret this, Bel-"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm terrified," I cut her off in a bored tone as I pick at my nails.

I look up and she's still standing there staring at us, probably trying to come up with a good threat.

Ugh, what will it take for her to go away?

A lightbulb goes off in my head.

I look to my right at Draco, and before I can convince myself otherwise, I pull his face down to my level and kiss him. It takes him a minute to process what's going on, but once he does, he deepens the kiss.

"Argh!" I hear Pansy scream and stomp off.

I start to back away, but he just pulls me back in.

Memories of our friendship, and the things we've done together fill my mind. Our relationship seems to be complicated, but at the same time, really simple. We've been inseparable ever since our first day at Hogwarts when we happened to sit next to one another in the Great Hall.

There isn't one secret between us. Of course, he was closed off and hostile at first, but over time, he opened up to me. I think he just didn't realize how badly he needed someone to talk to and confide in. He still tells me to this day that there isn't anyone he tells things to or opens up to like he does with me.

Sometimes we talked about truly becoming a couple, but we realized both of our feelings towards each other weren't like that. Sure, we've gone on dates, we flirt, we do relationshipy type things, but it's not like that. It's like one of those friends you make a promise to that if by a certain age you both aren't married, you'll marry each other.

I start to see Draco Malfoy in a new light. Sure, he's like the books describe him. He's cold, he's rude, he's a coward, he's closed off to almost everyone, but what they don't say is that there isn't anything he wouldn't do for the people he genuinely cares about. Granted, there aren't very many people he feels that way for, but it's true. Suddenly, I feel as if there isn't anyone else I would rather be best friends with.

"Ugh, get a room, you two," Blaise chides.

Draco pulls away and we both chuckle, slightly embarrassed from being caught.

Crabbe and Goyle find us, and we all head to the Great Hall. We reach the closed doors where all the students from every grade are waiting behind to be let in.

"Ugh, I'm starved. How long does it take that old oaf to prepare his stupid speech? I just wanna eat," Draco complains.

I'm assuming he's talking about Dumbledore.

"Oh stop whining, you big baby," I say, playfully slapping his arm.

As if on cue, the doors start to open, revealing a dining hall more beautiful than anything I've ever seen, and way grander than the movies have ever shown.

-

Hi guys! Please make sure to vote for chapters when you read one that you really like because even just one vote signal boosts my story and gets it more noticed. If you have any suggestions for things to include in future chapters, or just feedback and comments in general, make sure to leave them in the comments!