Chapter Forty

Lunar's POV

Mathis and I hung upside down, dangling on the monkey bars of the playground at the park. Another stupid dare on who could last longer than the other as Jax stood on the ground using his phone as a timer. Castian leaned against the ladder, using his phone in case Scoria's phone decided to be an asshole.

"Two minutes have passed," Jax called as I folded my arms over my chest and yawned. I hadn't gotten the best sleep last night... My mind kept racing, and I couldn't get comfortable. My legs still ached from the warehouse, but I acted fine around Matty and our friends, the glint in Ozora's eyes always made me want to run away, but that'd give away what we did.

"What should we do when this is done?" Mathis questioned as she tucked in her shirt so it wouldn't fall and expose her breasts, "I say we go egging. OOOH, Or the fireworks, again!"

"Did we not learn from the last time?" I huffed with a low mutter, trying to contain my easily tempered exhaustion, "I almost died!"

"And you've almost died how many times since then? what's one more?"

Her response admittedly got me to laugh, even more so when she started to tickle me, "Hey, no cheating! I know what loser has to do, and I'm not doing that."

"Awe, embarrassed?" She teased, still tickling me as I struggled to keep myself on the bars.

"Six minutes," Cast spoke, growing comfortable where he rested. His free hand propped under his chin, and his eyes relaxed as he mostly watched me. He looked like he was ready to fall asleep or pounce on me. I couldn't tell which.

"I'm not embarrassed," I retorted, tickling her back, "I'd just prefer not to be alone!"

The dare was that loser had to spend the night in the cornfield nude OR spend the night at the spooks. Both are stupid ideas cause the cornfield was known for gross things that bite and cause infections. The owner took the shittiest care of the place, and the corn had been up for ten summers. People have gone missing in the damn field and were never found because the plants are so wild they destroy anything that tries to kill 'em.

I yawned for the second time as she stopped fondling me, "Did ya not sleep last night, Lune? You've been yawning all day."

"I got an hour at most, too sore to sleep and kept having a bad dream that wouldn't fuck off, so I gave up and stayed awake," I admitted. It wasn't bullshit, I did keep having a nightmare, so I just quit trying and left the bed. I didn't want to toss and turn and wake up Mr. Lincoln or Mr. Hayes. They had already had a rough day at the Company and needed rest, "I just played Call of Duty in the game room all night cause I didn't want to bother anybody."

I'm not entirely certain what happened with the Company, but Mr. Lincoln broke down in tears... Mr. Hayes said something about death from what I overheard, so I knew better than to raise questions. Some things are just better left unknown... At least that's what I keep telling myself.

"Ten minutes," Scoria stretched, laying in the grass as he crossed his legs, "He's not the only one who got shit sleep. I'd love a nap."

I know what happened with Jax. He'd called me last night in a panic because, I guess, somebody has it out for him. He went to Lava Lamp to clean up from somebody's birthday party. The place had been closed for a few days so everyone could rest and get over the alcohol. When he came back, the walls were spray painted with slurs, and all the glasses were shattered. He swears the place wasn't like that before, and I believe him.

"I swear, sometimes being black and blue is fun," Scoria started crying on the phone, "But in these moments I wish I could be anything but. I'm fine with the broken glass. I'm fine with the fucking spray paint. But, for fuck's sake, I can't control the melanin in my motherfucking skin."