Chapter 7

I put the last pin into my light brown hair to keep it in place. The same low bun it is always in with my shorter front pieces cupping my face.

"Good morning Evie!" Finn says, waltzing into my room I'm getting ready in.

"Good morning," I laugh, seeing that the sun is setting. I just woke up from my sleep after my night shift.

"Tommy told me to come tell you he needs you in his office! And I have to take you there!" He says, jumping up to sit on the bed as he waits for me to finish.

"Let me put my shoes on," I say, getting up and walking over to the side of the bed, slipping my heels on. "You need your nursing stuff!" Finn says, handing me my bag.

"Thank you," I say, taking his arm and letting him lead me to Tommy's office, annoyed that he's now much taller than me.

Soon enough, we escape the cold nippy air and enter a warm building, Finn leading me to a room and knocking before opening the door and pushing me in.

"Thank you Finn," Tommy says just before the door shuts.

"It's a tiny cut Tommy," I laugh, seeing a rag on the table waiting for me. "Any excuse to see you," he smiles, turning so I can stand in between his legs.
I dunk the rag in his glass of whiskey, bringing it up to his cheek to clean the dried blood off.

"I've got to head up to London tomorrow," he says, causing me to sigh.

"Am I allowed to know why?"

"I'm going to make a business deal with Alfie Solomon, I'll be three days," he says, taking ahold of my hands, making rough meet soft.

"Remember to try get some sleep, you're terrible at not getting you way when your tired," I giggle.

"You really upset me, Evie," he teases, pouting.

"Shut up Tommy," I giggle, unwrapping our hands to look out the window quickly.

"Why have you really asked me to come here then?" I sigh, turning around. "Come with me to London?" He asks.

"You know I can't, I have work," I smile, letting him button his shirt back up. "They'll let you off if I'm with you," he smiles, almost making me cave in.

"Nope! I need the money and I like what I do, you go do your business deal and I'll stay here," I smile, leaning on his desk.

"What's happened today then?" I ask, finishing his whiskey as he goes to reach for it.

"The Garrison blew up," he says, pouring another.

"You what?" I ask, shocked.

"Mhm, nobody was harmed so no need to worry," he says, giving me a glass of whiskey.

"It's going to be rebuilt right? Where would I spend my evenings with Jane," I huff.

"It is, I'm buying it for Arthur once it's rebuilt," he says, making me laugh. "He'll love that, free alcohol for himself whenever he wants it," I giggle.

"Now I want you to do a small favour for me," he says, making me raise an eyebrow.

"Nothing bad. I just want you to take two files from the hospital. Michael Grey and Anna Grey. That's all," he says.

"Polly's children?" I ask, recognising the last name.

"Indeed, but you can't speak a word of this to anybody, definitely not Jane, she likes to gossip," he says, making me laugh.

"And if I can't find them?" I ask, having an idea he already knows the answer. "Then don't worry about it," he smiles, pulling me closer by my waist.