One

Sitting here in my favorite cafe about five miles away from my home, not a single thought could pop up. At night my mind would be filled to the rim with millions of plots I could use for the new story, but now, there was nothing.

I wanted to write of a simple love story but that's already been written. Four hundred times. Everything was already written.

A groan left my lips as I let my head fall into my hands. Why the hell did I choose to be an author? I could have been anything and I chose this, even though I've never actually finished a story. I always ended half way and now I couldn't even start.

"You okay?"

I looked up to see my best friend half smiling at me, eyebrows raised in concern with hot drinks in his hands.

"No, Jack, I am not okay." I answered, my head dropping back into my hands. (a/n jack johnson btw)

He chuckled as he sat down beside me, an arm coming around me to hug me sideways.

"Tell uncle Jack what's wrong; let it out," he jokingly murmured, causing me to giggle. He seemed to catch on to what the problem was, the empty word document probably giving it away. "Don't force yourself, Anais, it'll come to you eventually." He said in a more serious tone, hand rubbing up and down my back.

"Eventually as in like two years?" I joked, taking the hot coffee that he'd ordered.

"As in like twenty. Seriously though, don't stress." He had opened his own computer and started with his tasks, after making sure I was alright.

It was Monday morning and in two hours I had an interview at the Given Sky Inc. which at the moment was a very successful business, essentially being known for their young and attractive CEO.

I worked for a journalism office in Manhattan since being an aspiring author with no published stories didn't pay rent, and my first interview was today, with one of the wealthiest and most successful man of New York. To say I was nervous was a grand understatement.

I had only finished my English course at Uni two months ago, and I was already about to have a chat with the most successful man in all of the state. I blew out another sigh, head still resting in the palm of my hand as I stared at the blank document.

Music. I needed some music.

I reached into my purse and pulled out my iPod Shuffle, the same one I've been using for about five years, and turned it on, instantly hearing the classic music from when I'd been listening the night before.

In relaxation I closed my eyes, letting the calming music soothe my disarrayed mind. Instead of working on a story I decided to review the questions I was going to ask Mr. Gilinsky. I had done some research on him already, but there wasn't much about him, the only things I could find was about the company, public appearances, his charities but never something personal.

He's only had two other interviews previous to mine and none of those questions were personal. The questions I had noted down were all pretty personal, and I faintly wondered if I was overstepping. The fact he'd said yes to the interview was already a huge accomplishment in the first place however now I just had to make it worth it.

I've edited and added questions by the time I had to go. The building was near the café I was currently in so getting to the actual building wasn't a struggle. I gathered my things in my bag before getting out of my seat.

"I'll see you tonight?" Jack spoke up, looking up at me from his seat.

I frowned, checking my watch, mentally counting how long the interview would take. "I'm meeting up with Nina after and I don't know if she wants to go out tonight. I'll text you." I promised and patted him on his shoulder before making my leave.

As I exited the warm café I stepped into the cold November streets of New York. It wasn't that cold but coming out of the cozy heated café it was substantially colder. I instinctively pulled my dark coat tighter around my torso, crossing my arms to warm up my hands and sinking myself deeper into my thick scarf.

I began to make to way across the street along with a big crowd of other New Yorkers who had the same idea. From where I walked, Gil Inc. was within my eyesight. It was a large rising building, steely and modern, clean cut design all over.

It took me no time to reach the entrance, where grand doors awaited me. Sleek and metal like the entire building. Above the door stood in capital letters; GIVEN SKY.

A door man from the inside opened the door for me, and the moment I stepped inside of the building, I felt under dressed. I noticed a secretary, tailored black blazer, blonde hair in a tight ponytail, not a single hair disarray. Bright red lipstick contrasted her pale skin.

She looked up as I neared her, my hands absently trying to fix my messy bun that had gotten even messier from the wind outside.

"Good morning, how can I help you?" She spoke, voice like an angel, icy blue eyes staring at me.
"Um-" I instantly began to rummage through my bag, looking for the little note that proved today's appointment. "I'm here for the interview with Mr. Gilinsky..." I explained absently, trying desperately to find the stupid note. It was no where in sight. Where the hell was it?!

"Ah, yes," she said, long manicured nails clatting on the keyboard rapidly. "You're Anais Parson... with Vaccune Magazine?" She asked, looking up at me with annoyingly long lashes that framed her blue eyes.

"Yeah, that's me." I murmured, closing my bag, assuming I wouldn't need the proof.

She had stopped clacking in the keyboard briefly to press a button on the telephone by her computer.

"Mr. Gilinsky, I have an Anais Parson with Vaccune Magazine." She said into the receiver.

"Send her up." A deep voice on the other line commanded.

The blonde got up from her seat, and that's when I noticed the little nametag pinned on her suit. 'Rebecka', it read.

"This way, Miss Parson," she said, kind smile on her lips as she began to walk across the vast space. It was much too big of a space, with little to no furniture besides the secretary desk. Rebecka led me to an elevator, and gestured for me to get inside. "Floor 50," she said, and I looked at all the buttons, pressing the one that said 50. "Good luck!"

The elevator doors closed.