12 || Sarcasm

Midoriya stood on the roof again. The only difference now, was that he had to actually talk to the people he was fighting.

     "What do I even say?" He asked Mei and his eyes darted around the streets for a crime. He heard a the static of the other end, "Be sassy, people love that!" She giggled.

     Izuku thought about it. He did feel more confident behind the mask. He'd actually made a remark or two in the past when dealing with criminals, but he'd never really thought about the new bravery with his words.

     Maybe it was the feeling of being anonymous, none of this connected back to him. Still, somehow, whenever Valor became a bit more confident, Izuku Midoriya came out of his shell a little.

     "Yeah, well I'm not sure I'm going to be the best at it." He chuckled and Mei laughed.

     "Practice makes perfect, Mido!" She said, and she must've been really close to the microphone because Izuku flinched at the volume of her voice.

     Before he could tell her to maybe move the mic a bit, he heard a shout.

     "Empty the fucking bag! I'm not afraid to use this!"

     Ah, classic, a mugger with a weapon. Quickly hopping down and across, he sprinted in the direction of the yell, skidding to a halt in front of an alley.

     "Why is it always an alley?" He groaned. A person with a ski-mask on spun around and pointed a knife at him as if it were a gun. 

     "Don't come any closer!" She yelled shakily.

     "You aren't even holding it right." It surprised Izuku how easily talking back came to him. Maybe being Valor had had more of an impact on him than he'd initially thought.

     The woman growled, "Doesn't make it any less dangerous." She told him as she shifted it so she was holding better.

     Midoriya glanced at the person she'd been yelling at before he showed up. Some guy, looked to be in his mid-twenties, who was shaking as he pressed himself against the wall to put some distance between himself and the woman.

      "Listen, there's two ways to do this," His voice came out as several mixed together, "The hard way, or the even harder way."

     The woman scoffed, "Let's go with the one where you've been stabbed a few dozen times."

     For the first time in a bit, Midoriya didn't make the first move. The woman lunged at him, a crazy look in her eyes behind the mask. Still, Midoriya had dealt with people far more trained with weapons than her.

     One dude had a gun.

     Midoriya was super glad he'd been shot in the vest and nowhere else that day.

     He moved to the side, "That all you got, ma'am?" He asked, cringing a little at how cocky he sounded.

     "Who do you think you are, prick?" She yelled, running at him and swinging the knife again. Just as easily as before, Izuku dodged.

     "I'm Valor, not so nice to meet you." Midoriya gripped his bo staff, ready to use it. The woman stilled a little, her eyes widening. 

     "You're that bitch-"

     "Language."

     "Shut up. You've been the talk of the town, recently. I'll put an end to that." She ran foreword again and seemed to find a new determination to stab him.

     Valor laughed and jumped directly over her. Before she could even stop running, he turned around and swung his staff, knocking her off of her feet. It seemed to be his go-to move recently.

     The woman fell foreword and landed with a 'Ouf!'.  

     "Get the knife!" An excited voice awfully similar to Mei's sounded in Midoriya's ear. After a moment he realized Mei had to have used a voice changer to make her voice both androgynous and unrecognizable to anyone who didn't know that Mei was on the other end of Valor's coms. It was probably a precaution for the video. 

     Midoriya took her advice and put his foot against the woman's back to keep her down and swiftly grabbed the knife with a gloved hand. He spun it around his fingers, letting himself get a bit more prideful.

     "What was that about 'putting an end to that'? He asked, reaching for the zip ties. 

     An agonizingly long time of calming a man down and getting him to call the police, Midoriya let out a relieved sigh.

     "What now?" His many distorted voices sounded. 

     "Now we continue patrol! Can't end it just 'cause you apprehended one person!" Mei's new voice still caught him off-guard. Chuckling, Midoriya swing to the next roof.

     Mei was definitely not a master at editing. She had a tendency to add about a hundred too many visual and sound effects. So, that left Izuku to editing.

     Considering it was his first go at it, he was actually pretty good at it. He cut out all of the quiet bits, he edited out the part where he had to stop a man from crapping his pants after his mugger was apprehended, etcetera.

    Really, at this point, it was just a highlight reel of his night. The occasional chiming in from Mei seemed to add a dash of hyper that could never go amiss. 

    "Let's add something to the end." Mei said suddenly as they finished watching the edited version.

     Izuku hummed, "Like what, though?" He'd felt maybe there could be more, but he wasn't sure if it was warranted.

     "A little voiceover!" Mei giggled and Midoriya shrugged. He honestly wasn't sure anybody was going to see this anyways. Mei pulled out the microphone she used to speak to Valor and set it in front of them, pulling out their individual voice changers as well.

     There was a moment of quiet as the screen faded from an alley to pitch black, and and a giggle filled the silence, "So, Valor-"

     "This is already regrettable." The many voices spoke as one. If you watched the video previously, you'd recognize that as the cover voice of Valor, the vigilante and the person recording.

     "Shut up, you agreed to this!" That voice was less common in the video. It was there, though, and memorable. The voice was neither feminine nor masculine, although it was probably a voice changer as well.

     Valor's laugh (or several, depending on how you look at it) rang out. 

     "Still doesn't make it not regrettable- what am I even supposed to say?" He wondered aloud.

     The mystery voice hummed, "Add some personality or something! It's not my video-"

     "Well it actually is because-"

     "Oh but I'm not the one in the video-"

     If you were watching, you'd probably not be able to tell what they were saying unless you watched it a few times over on full concentration. They spoke over one another, but in a way that seemed playful.

     Playful indeed, as the two burst out laughing. 

     "Maybe it should just be that. That's all it is- unintelligible arguing. That's the voiceover." Valor said it in a sarcastic, joking tone.

     Mystery voice gasped, "Yes! Bet!" They said, and a chair squeaked in the background.

     Laughter filled the audio and it faded. The video ended there, joyous laughter you wouldn't expect to hear from a technical criminal the last thing you hear.

     Mei and Midoriya watched over the video one last time. They uploaded the highlight reel and voice-over under the title 'Mugger Can't Hold A Knife =,(' and channel name 'Valor', which Midoriya was surprised no one had taken.

     They went their separate ways that night, and although Midoriya was sure it wouldn't gain much traction, he still had had a fun time regardless.

{1273 Words}