Puzzle Pieces

Word Count: 1,009
Warnings: sadness, swearing, break ups
A/n: this is based off the pic attached which is from Daniel Sloss' comedy special Jigsaw. If you watch it I will warn you now, it's sad, it's raunchy and kinda gross and kinda dark but I think he's funny. I hope you like this!!!

———-

"The worst thing you can do with your life is spend it with the wrong human being" - Daniel Sloss

—————

When you were younger you asked your parents about love and your parents had explained that life was like a jigsaw puzzle. You had to start working on the sides and the four corners, job, family, friends, hobbies and interests. The middle, your parents explained, was the big partner piece and that's what you were working towards. Now that was a cute way to explain things of that nature to an 8 year old. But now that you were almost 20 and in a 2 and a half year relationship, you started to question it.

You had thrown certain partner pieces away because they weren't the final piece in your jigsaw. You struggled with finding your partner piece for awhile. You had temporary partner pieces that would last 3 months or so, never lasting long enough to complete your picture.

You met Steve in a time where you vulnerable, you were crying in your car after breaking up with your 3rd partner piece after thinking that they would be the final piece. You were so wrong, they were the worst partner piece you had ever had. Then after what felt like 10 hours but was only 10 minutes, someone knocked on your window. You calmed yourself as much as you could and rolled your window down to see Steve, you knew him from high school but you were never friends. He was checking on you and he let himself into your car where he talked you through your break up for the next 4 months.

That whole event led you to here. You were happy with Steve. At least you thought you were. You had been dating him for almost 3 years and things were going fine. They had fine for awhile, it's like you were at a standstill in your relationship, you couldn't explain why either.

The whole jigsaw thing layed heavy on your mind, you were starting to wonder if Steve was that final partner piece. You couldn't tell if you were trying to jam him in to fit your puzzle and moving pieces to fit your life around him or if this is what a completed jigsaw felt like. You tried not to think about it much, not wanting to ruin what you had.

Had you expressed these concerns to anyone? No, of course not. You were scared because if Steve didn't fit your jigsaw puzzle, then who would? And if he didn't fit in your puzzle then that meant you had to figure out 1 of 2 things, 1. Did you just waste 2 and a half years of your life, trying to cram someone into your life and making them someone who they're not or 2. Do you plan on potentially wasting the rest of your life with this person?

You came to the conclusion on your 3rd year anniversary with Steve. It came to you during your dinner date with him, you ate dinner in an awkward silence and that's when you realized you weren't meant to be with him. Neither of you could come up with anything to say to the other, it had been like this for months. You realized that you were in fact trying to fucking jam him into your stupid fucking puzzle that you've been trying to build for over 19 years. It wasn't fair to him or you.

You didn't break up with him at dinner. That would've been extremely shitty of you. You waited a month, you felt horrible about doing it in the first place but you didn't want to do it so soon after an anniversary. You called Steve over to your house. You took serval deep breaths as you were trying to figure how you were going to explain this to him. You were pacing back and forth in your living room, dreading each passing second that went by and you begged for time to go slower.

You heard him knock three times, slowly you opened the door. Steve pulled you in for a hug that you reluctantly returned. Steve knew something was wrong. He sat on your couch and you hesitantly sat on the other end of the couch. A worried look came across Steve's face as you tried to regulate your breathing.

"Hey, are you okay?" Steve reached a hand out to touch your knee in a comforting way, you flinched at his touch.

"Uh.. no, I hate doing this to you.. t-to us but, I think we need to break up. I'm really sorry, I just can't be in a relationship with you anymore. I'm so sorry." Tears started to roll down your face, you tried to gage Steve's reaction but your eyes were clouded by new forming tears.

"Was it something I did?" Steve's brain was scrambling for things that he could've done but, he couldn't find anything.

"No, sweetie-I mean Steve. It's all me. You've done nothing wrong." You had to resist the urge to reach out and touch him.

"Just tell me what's wrong so that we can get through this." Wiping your eyes for the hundredth time you shook your head.

"It's just that we don't complete each other's puzzles. We can't even talk to each at dinner, we can only talk to each other when other people are around. That's not what relationships are supposed to be about. I'm so so sorry." Steve processed everything you said. You watched him as he pieced everything together.

"I uh I guess you're right. I didn't want to believe it but you're right." Steve began to get off your couch and you stood up to follow him to your door.

"I'm so sorry Steve." Steve wiped his eyes with his shirt sleeve as he left. He went to his car and left without turning back.

You felt somewhat of a weight being lifted off of your chest. You let out a deep shakey breath. You knew this was going to be good for both of you because, you would be able to find your missing pieces.