𝖋𝖎𝖋𝖙𝖞 𝖙𝖜𝖔

[trigger warning: gore, death, war]

ELARA WATCHED FIONA DIE.

She'd plunged straight into the heat of the battle, locking away the urge to climb back up to the Astronomy Tower and kiss Draco one last time.

She remembered the helpless look in his eye, the way he'd clutched the railing with white knuckles as if he wanted to throw himself over it.

But then a green spell came spiralling at her and she jumped out of the way, the breath leaving her, swiftly, and sent one back, sending the Death Eater spiralling into one of the arches of the courtyard.

"Confringo!"

It was Luna's voice and Elara swerved to find the blond witch, standing behind her, having hexed a Death Eater who had been closing in.

The Ravenclaw witch was bruised and bloody, one eye purple, a gash on her lip.

She gave Elara a flashing smile anyway and turned to shoot a spell at a Death Eater cornering Ernie Macmillan.

Elara coughed through the dust and scanned the courtyard, taking in the cloaked figures of the Death Eaters dueling with the Hogwarts students - who were managing to hold their own.

Elara noticed most of the students left standing were part of the DA. But it was a losing fight - for every Death Eater that went down, another took their place.

She sensed him before she saw him and whirled to face a short, squat Death Eater emerging from the rubble of a decimated wall.

"Stup -" The words died in her throat.

The spell hit her straight in the back and she crumbled, the breath leaving her lungs, as she felt a large gash open across her shoulder, the skin ripping open.

She screamed as the pain tore through her body, feeling blood pour down her back, and her palms pressed hard into floor beneath her, the rocks cutting into her palms.

Out of the corner of her vision, she saw another spell spiral towards her and forced her muscles to move, twisting out of the way and gasping in agony at the pain in her shoulder.

One of the Death Eaters laughed - she couldn't tell if it was the short one in front of her or whoever had hit her in the back. She could hear them both stalking closer, predators hunting prey.

She'd die here. She'd die in this courtyard at the hands of one of them. Maybe they'd take pity and make it quick -

"Stupefy!"

The Death Eater behind her suddenly careened past Elara, slamming into the rubble that the short one had just emerged from and Elara took the opportunity to raise her wand and send a Confringo.

The squat Death Eater dodged it and advanced, casting spells over her at Fiona who had just saved her life.

Elara couldn't see her but she recognised her voice. The same voice that met her during early Quidditch practices with a bright smile and the same voice that comforted them whenever they lost. She'd brought butterscotch cookies for them a few times - they'd shared it sitting in the grass of the Quidditch pitch.