It Had To Be Today

<<Delilah>>
I wake up to my alarm that I wish never went off. I get up and start getting ready, still not wanting to do anything. As I grab my backpack, I realize that I didn't finish my homework that is due today. I put my things down and start doing some of the homework at the desk, hoping I can get the majority of it done before I have to leave for school. I wasn't even thinking last night before I went to bed. Nothing I can do about it now except hope.

Ms. Nancy comes into the room and asks, "Are you up?" before seeing me.

"Yes," I respond.

"You can come get some breakfast if you want."

"I have to finish my homework. I'm sorry. I forgot to do it before I went to sleep last night."

"It's okay. Yesterday was stressful for you. You don't need to apologize. I can get you something that you can eat while walking to school if you would like."

"Um, sure. Thank you."

"Great. You have about 15 minutes before you have to leave."

"Thanks"

She smiles and leaves. Something just seems off, like she is on edge or something, but is trying to hide it. I don't want to ask, but I hope she isn't stressed because of me.

I finish as much homework as I can before grabbing my backpack and meeting Miles downstairs. Ms. Nancy hands me a granola bar and a banana as we leave. I thank her, and open the granola bar. I'm going to save the banana for lunch instead of having it now.

While we are walking, Miles asks, "Are you walking home after school today? I thought I heard Nancy say that she was picking you up."

"Oh," I say. "She is picking me up during the day. I have something."

"Okay. Just seeing if I should wait for you or not. Good luck with your 'thing' today."

"Thanks."

The rest of the walk is silent until we get to school. We both say a quick goodbye before going our separate ways. I put my things in my locker and take out my phone since we got to school a little early.

Mr. Parent

Delilah
Hey

Mr. Parent
Hey, kid. How are you?

Delilah
I'm sorry

Mr. Parent
For what?

Delilah
I blamed you yesterday for something you didn't do.

Mr. Parent
It's fine, kid. I don't care.

Delilah
It's not fine.

Mr. Parent
Why not? I'm not upset.

Delilah
Why?

Mr. Parent
Why what?

Delilah
Why aren't you upset? I blamed you for breaking
my trust and you didn't.

Mr. Parent
Because you seem to have enough to deal with.

Delilah
What's that supposed to mean?

Mr. Parent
Well, with it being today...

Delilah
I have to go. Bye.