Home

{Chapter Thirteen}

Abby sat on the couch reading as her father entered the room doing his tie

Abby sat on the couch reading as her father entered the room doing his tie. Pepper approached him handing him his coffee and reading him his schedule. Abby looked up at her father closing her book and placing it on the coffee table.

"Can we go out today?" Abby asked looking between the two.

"Huh?" Her dad asked turning back to her.

"I would like to go out. Leave the hotel room and actually see New York. It isn't healthy for a kid like me to stay cooped up all day every day, I could die." Abby told him.

"Little dramatic don't you think?" Tony smiled at the girl.

"We have been in New York for three days, I have not left the hotel room in three days. We were supposed to go out yesterday but you were too busy." The girl pouted slightly.

Tony sighed kneeling in front of his daughter.

"I know, I'm sorry. Listen, I'm busy today but I'll take you out tomorrow." Tony told her.

"We leave tomorrow, first thing." Abby reminded him.

"Then we can come back on a weekend when we're both free," Tony promised.

"So when I'm eighteen." The small girl deadpanned, grabbing her book and making her way to her room.

"Abby!" Tony called after her as her door slammed.

The man collapsed onto the couch with his head in his hands. He knew he had disappointed the girl too many times to count and it killed him but he was a busy man with responsibilities. He looked up as the couch dipped beside him to see Pepper taking a seat beside him.

"You think I'm wrong," Tony spoke.

"I think that it is Abby's first time in New York since Sarah died." Pepper replied softly.

"Shit." Tony cursed himself for forgetting.

He often forgot that he didn't raise Abby. He hated that he had missed the first eight years of the girl's life. New York was Abby's home and he hated that he was keeping her locked inside.

"Listen, if we leave now we might have time before the Expo to take Abby out," Pepper told him.

Tony stood from the couch and made his way to the girl's room. He knocked on the door before opening it to find her laid on her bed hugging her stuffed lion to her chest.