zhongli ❧ espresso

"i thought you were more a tea guy."

zhongli x readerfluff ❧ college au ; you and zhongli work at a cafe (alternative; zhongli is cute and good at everything and you have a crush on him)

zhongli x reader
fluff college au ; you and zhongli work at
a cafe (alternative; zhongli is cute and good at everything and you have a crush on him)

(zhongli's route for college au - yes, there's different routes like a dating sim | follow up on roommate)

.

"Oi! Quit daydreaming Zhongli!"

He snapped out of his thoughts to see you glaring at him. He had spilled another shot of espresso on the floor— the third that day. You sighed, grabbing the mop and quickly cleaning the mess. "Is something up? You keep spacing out."

Zhongli gave you a weary smile, apologizing for his actions. "Sorry... there are some things on my mind." You raised an eyebrow at him, folding your arms. "Well— whatever it is, you can think about it during break. We still have another thirty minutes."

Those thirty minutes went by fast with the onslaught of college students coming in for pastries, drinks and their daily dose of much needed caffeine.

You served the last customer, handing her the latte she ordered and two blueberry muffins. She left in a hurry, saying thanks on the way out and dropping a few coins in the tip jar.

You sighed, following Zhongli to the back of the cafe where you untied the apron knot and laid on the small wooden table in the back.

"Would you like an espresso shot?" Zhongli asked, noticing your slight dark circles from late nights studying. You laughed, nodding. He handed you a shot of the bitter liquid— downing it in one go.

"Gosh— how do people drink this crap? It's so bitter!" You gagged at the aftertaste, sticking your tongue out in disgust. Zhongli took a seat beside you, "I believe coffee has a fine taste. The slight bitterness with a tinge of steamed milk creates a lovely flavor."

You sighed, setting the shot glass down. "I thought you were more of a tea kinda guy."

"I am but I also appreciate the taste of coffee." You rolled your eyes at him. "You sound like Xiao, he's so picky with his food it's infuriating."

Zhongli flashed you a soft smile, "Xiao appreciates the act of cooking but not the results I suppose."

You sighed, playing with your nails. "Hey Zhongli? Could you make me a latte?" He raised an eyebrow at you. "Isn't this your third one—"

"Yes but— biochem is horrible and Xiao is making me go through intense studies each night— it's killing me." Zhongli's golden eyes closed for a moment, chuckling lightly and stood up to make your desired drink.

It only took a moment, he returned with the drink in hand. There was even a cute little leaf pattern from the milk on it. You chuckled lightly, taking a sip and set the white ceramic down.

"How are you so good at everything? man— it's not fair..." Zhongli laughed, "not everything. Childe does all of my economic stuff."

You rolled your eyes, "but other than that— like, you're good at cooking, smart, and pretty. It's no wonder why everyone flirts with you at work. Everyone has a crush on you."

He went silent for a second before saying, "do you... have a crush on me...?" You smirked at him, leaning forward on the table. "Oho? What if I do?" Zhongli's face turned the slightest of pink. He glanced away, not looking at you.

"Is that your confession...?" He asked, eyeing the coffee press before turning back to you slowly. You laughed, "Interpret that however you like."

Zhongli glanced down, "I... suppose I have taken a liking to you too, (y/n)." Wait— is he serious?

"Heh~ You're gonna make me blush." He finally looked up at you, the smallest of smiles on his face. It was a genuine one, one that felt so heartwarming.

Time seemed to slow as you made the bold move to lean in. You gently placed your hands on his face, leaning inwards. The ghost of his lips brushing against yours. So close— his forehead touched yours affectionately, you were a centimeter away from kissing him before—

"OH MY SWEET MORAX WHAT IN THE NAME OF THE ARCHONS ARE YOU TWO DOING?!"

Goddamn Xiao— wrong timing, the two of you pulled away immediately, red with embarrassment. Your best friend (partner in crime, roommate, best guy ever for letting you copy off of him during biochem exams) had just cockblocked you from your first kiss.

"Xiao...!" Zhongli seemed more embarrassed than you, red like a tomato and stuttering a ton. "How are you...?"

Xiao was glaring at you, "what in the sweet name of Morax are you two doing— making out in public?!"

You laughed, "actually— was just about to lose my first kiss to Zhongli but okay."

Xiao sighed, his fingers dancing through his hair. "Can I just have a bagel please? I want to forget what I just saw..." And of course, you being you, leaned over to whisper a 'we'll continue this later' to Zhongli before rushing off to get Xiao his precious bagel.