Chapter 23

The party was slowly coming together. When I arrived home from work I had called up Jack and Casper going over the last details. There was no need to stress yet since it being Wednesday and the party wasn't planned until next Friday. Still, with my new assignment with Grimmy I didn't have as much time meeting them at the bar after work, so I liked to plan ahead. I figured I'd cook myself dinner whilst talking with them on the phone, and when it was done we were also done going over everything.

My butt fell onto the sofa and with the plate in my hand over my lap I played the last episode of Gilmore Girls on my TV. I exhaled for the first time today, truly feeling my shoulders relax to the feeling of having nothing on them for a while.

My mind was so happy concentrating on nothing else than the quick and witty replies between Lorelai and Rory playing out on the screen in front of me that it didn't register my phone ringing until its last melody. I threw myself on it, not even having time to see who the call was from.

"Hello?" I spoke out on my end of the phone while adjusting it to press it between my ear and shoulder so I could continue eating.

"Bee?" I heard him trembling, weak and low. To the sound of his brittled voice, my heart sank into my stomach and I completely forgot about everything else.

"Yes, Honey?" I answered him carefully and softly. My eyes started flickering through the room, searching for answers on the other side of the line.

"Uhm..." He tried to compose himself, build up some strength to get out the words he wished to speak, "Can I come over?" Harry managed to ask, unsteady and broken. I could hear the lump in his throat desperately wanting to be realised without his permission.

"Of course." I rushed saying calmly, even if my nerves were all over the place.

Harry had ended the call without any explanation. My thoughts had been speeding, but the time waiting for him to arrive moved slow. Then, the door rang and I hurried to open it. In its frame stood Harry, head low to the ground and drooping shoulders. Opposed to me earlier, it looked like he was carrying the weight of the world on them.

I walked right up to him, putting myself in his personal space. Without a word I stood there, right below his towering body. Even as I observed him from under my bangs, his locks were hiding his gorgeous green eyes from me. All I could see was the clenched jaw and close-bitten lips.

I reached my hand to push some of the curls away, keeping a hand on the side of his face. It was almost like his face curved to the touch, leaning slightly into it. With attentive and comforting eyes I saw his features ease up a bit. Those emerald eyes slowly opened up to look at me. They were filled with sorrow and I felt something break within me. With the tension gone it was like he couldn't hold back the breaking point. I leaned into his chest, moving the hand I had on his cheek to trace the back of his locks softly. His hands moved to hold me in his arms, tucking his head perfectly in the crook of my neck.

"He's gone." He whispered in my embrace, broken. Suddenly he felt so small in the hold of my arms. Harry hugged me tighter when he uttered the words and I returned it, hoping to keep his broken pieces from falling apart. But it didn't. In my arms he fell apart, beginning to sob against my shoulder.

"It is so stupid." He rambled, vomiting out words, not being able to stop himself from breaking to pieces.

"I know it's bad-" I tried to interpose and calm him, but it was hopeless.

"So so stupid." He raised his voice more while interrupting me, frustrated with himself. I closed the door smoothly with the help of one foot and wobbled slowly in the direction of the living room with him while he continued to repeat the words over and over, and each time my heart broke a little more for him. I cuddled up in one of the corners of my sofa with him tightly next to me in my arms.