Chapter 8

I sob into my pillow, feeling utterly disgusted I hadn't of realised sooner.

He hadn't of asked me on a date, always showing up late to pick me up from work, only ever kissed or held me in private.

I hear the front door unlock and shut, locking once again and heels click up the stairs.

"Mrs Richardson told me what happened," Jane softly says, slipping her shoes off and sitting next to me.

"Do you think it's true?" I ask, not able to stop the tears from gliding down my face.

"That's something I'm not sure about, but if it is I'll run away with you," she says, brushing my messy hair out of my face.

"What about Harry?" I say, lightly smiling.

"You mean the most to me, men come and go but best friends stick together. I'll run you a bath," she says, getting up.

"I love you," I call, Jane feeling more like a sister than my biological one. "I love you too," I can hear the smile in her voice.

"Right come on, it's already getting cold," she says; tugging me up. I sigh and walk into the bathroom, stripping. We have seen each other naked and grown up together since we were ten.

"Look what he's missing!" She says as I climb in.

I laugh, reaching for a tissue to blow my nose.

There's a knock at the door and Jane sighs going to get it.

"Where is she?" Tommy's calm voice asks.

"With Star," Jane simply lies.

"Then why are you here?" He asks her and I stay as quiet as I can.

"Same reason as you, you go speak to her, just don't break her heart," she says, shutting and locking the door before coming back upstairs.

"Is he gone?" I whisper, enjoying the lavender scented water.

"He is, after this we'll hide at mine, go through the back ways yeah?" She says, beginning to wash my hair.

***

"Remember when we stole that pie my mum made from the window and gave it to your dad," she laughs as a random record plays in the background.

"They never let us live our dream to be sisters," I giggle, forgetting how comforting her house always is.

"I have some good news," she says, causing me to sit forward on my seat.

"Please tell," I smile.

She shows me her left hand and on her ring finger sits a silver ring with a small blue rock on it.

"He didn't!" I take her hand to get a better look.

"He did! And I've got more to tell you," she says, making me clap in excitement.

"I'm pregnant."

"Congratulations!" I cheer, hugging her, "you'll be a great mother!"

"Now, who gave you this?" She asks, pointing to my necklace.

"Tommy did, should I give it back? I'm really not sure," I sigh, just wanting to celebrate for her for tonight.

"I haven't seen Lizzie with any new jewellery, how about you talk to him? I can walk you up to the stables so you can speak to Charlie and Curly first if you want," she suggests, holding my hand.