Seventeen: Rose Colored Glasses

It's dark in the room, concealed from the rest of the world that's in full swing outside this hotel. I'm tucked in close to him, listening to the sound of his heart as it beats slowly against my ear. The only light in the room comes from the dim lamp on the table across the room from us, almost flickering like a candle.

His legs are tangled with mine, my hair sprawled out against his chest, and everything feels so close. Yet, I find myself trying to mold into him even more, holding onto him even tighter than before. Neither of us has said anything for the past hour, just happy to be with each other and away from the rest of the world, in the safety of a new hotel room in a new small town.

This is where thrive. It's where everything feels simple, like I don't have to try to be anything else but the person I am. And that Harry is okay with this. Hidden away from everyone else, cuddled into each other tightly, in a place that's never permanent... this is where we belong.

"Harry?" I whisper as my fingers slowly move up the skin of his stomach, feeling the ripples of his muscles.

"Hmm?" he hums softly, his fingertips massaging my scalp with his hands that are tangled in my hair.

I feel him breathe out loudly above me, the air that's pushed from his lungs blowing onto the top of my head. We've been lying like this together for quite some time now and even though I don't think I've ever been more comfortable in my life, I feel anything but drowsy. Instead I'm wide awake with thoughts of Harry and how perfectly my body fits into his at this moment.

"Why did you leave?" I ask with slight hesitation, nervous to hear what his answer might be, but also curious enough to fight away my uncertainty in asking the question.

"I thought you wanted me to."

"What?" I shoot up, my hand on his chest, pressing into him as I push my hair to the side. Has he lost his mind? I know I'm more than obvious with what I want from him.

"No," he shakes his head, changing his mind. "That isn't what I mean... I thought I was doing you a favor. It wasn't that I thought you didn't want me there, I know you did, the entire situation just made me question if I was doing the right thing with you... or if I was bringing you down."

I lean to rest the side of my cheek in my hand, my eyebrows furrowed as I look at Harry and try to understand what he's just said. I'm still intertwined with him, but now my face is leaning to the side as I look up into his eyes, trying to read his facial expression as he looks back at me.

The concept of him bringing me down seems so silly and completely impossible that I almost want to laugh. I'm not sure he realizes how much he's done for me since I've known him, how different things would probably if I didn't.

I feel like a stronger person when I'm around him, like I can take on the world without the fear of tumbling to the ground because of it. It feels like I'm finally starting to become the person I'm meant to be. Without him I'm not sure that'd be possible. I don't find myself constantly thinking, over analyzing, every situation. Sure, this still happens but it's significantly less with him around and I think it's because it feels like he'd catch me if I fall. He feels like a safety net.

And while I think I would eventually be able to accomplish this feeling on my own. It's nice to have someone there who brings out without even having to think about it. It doesn't feel like an uphill battle with him supporting me.

"I don't understand?" I ask him, tapping my fingers against the side of my cheek. "How could you think that?"

He shrugs his shoulders, looking off to the side and takes a deep breath. It takes him a moment to look back over, reconnecting our eyes, and I wrap my arm around his waist tighter as I wait for him to answer.