Chapter 32: Sincere Apology

Callie's eyes scan over the TV in the living room. A mess of books circling her on the couch. It's been weeks since she's seen Josh. Not sure what's been going on with him or if he's even in the states. The only thing Callie's heard on the news has been coverage about the Special Ops team once again but always turning the channel when they are mentioned. Her hand runs over her growing belly before turning her eyes back to her computer monitor. A knock on the door interrupts her thoughts.

            "I told you not to come here," Callie sighs, looking at the man on the other end of the doorway.

            "Callie, I'm sorry. Can you let me in for a second so we can talk?" Josh asks.

            "Talk," Callie snips, crossing her arms while standing in the doorway.

            "Callie, I'm sorry. You're right. I was an asshole, a huge, enormous asshole, but I made a mistake. The biggest mistake I've ever made. I want to make things right," Josh says sympathetically.

            Her head shakes, "it's not that easy. You hurt me and you expect me to take I'm sorry, and I've made a huge mistake to fix that? You accused me of sleeping with other people, accused me. You took my virginity and now you want me to take you back because you said sorry? Who says that to somebody when they know they clearly are the father..."

            "Callie, I was trying to push you away. What I do is dangerous, and it's dangerous to be around me. You deserve a lot better than me I know that," Josh pleads, getting down on his knees. "But I want to show you that I've changed. That I'm not that same dumbass teenager I used to be. That I'm a good man and that I will do good by you."

             Callie listens to the words that roll off his tongue, tearing up as he gets down on his knees. She wants to hug him and kiss him, but also not wanting to talk to him at all.

             Josh rises from his knees, wanting to wrap his arms around her and hold her but instead, he steps closer. "Callie, I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, and I'll do everything I can for the rest of my life to make it up to you," he says, sliding his hand on her arm to test the waters.

            "Just go please," she steps back.

             "Okay," Josh nods, taking a deep breath. He turns around, placing his hand on the doorknob and he stops. "I was in Baghdad. When you wanted me to tell you, but I couldn't, I was in Baghdad."

            Josh steps out, shutting the door quietly behind him.