Chapter 35: Choices Are Always Judged

His eyes shift over to Callie who is still asleep in her hospital bed. The deafening silence filling the room with Josh and Callie's parents present. All three in their own little world. Josh's eyes scan over the two individuals who have not taken a liking to him since day one. Callie's dad reading the newspaper, scanning over the police blogger, and ending on the sports section. Callie's mom sitting at the table on her laptop, probably finding ways to get rid of Josh. Josh smirks.

            "Mm," a groan escapes from Callie's lips. His eyes shift from the potential murder plot to Callie. Her parent's eyes doing the same.

            "Hey," Josh smiles as she opens her eyes. The light causing her to blink multiple times to adjust.

            "Hey honey, how are you feeling?" her mother asks, closing the laptop and replacing Josh's spot by the bed.

            "Where's Kaiser?" Callie asks, bypassing her mother's question. "Is he okay? I want to see him," she says, trying to sit up.

            "He's in the NICU," Josh answers. "He's going to be okay," he nods, kissing the back of her hand. "Could I have a word with you, alone," he asks, glancing over at her parents and back at Callie.

            "Yeah," Callie nods. "Mom, dad, can you give us a minute?"

            Reluctantly, the two give them privacy.

            Josh pulls the chair closer to the hospital bed and sits down. He takes a deep breath. "I know I screwed up. I know that I'm an asshole and I'm an idiot because I messed up the best thing I ever had and that was you. I don't have a good excuse or a good reason for what I did, but Callie I will spend the rest of forever making it up to you if you let me. I don't expect you to want to have anything to do with me right away, but I want you to know that I'm trying and where I'm at and that's that. I'm going to keep trying until I get you back."

            A lump rises in Callie's throat and she tries to push it back. Her ears listening to every word that comes out. The nurse interrupting the moment as she comes in. Callie quickly wiping away a tear.

            "The baby is doing well. He's still a little weak and tired, but he's doing fine," the nurse says with the update. "You doing okay honey?" she asks Callie, her fingers pressing buttons on the monitor.

            Callie nods. The nurse giving the two some information on taking care of a premature baby and tips. While the nurse talks, Callie's eyes float away to Josh who is listening intently to what the nurse is saying.

            "Do you guys live together?" the question popping Callie's mind out of her psychosis.

            "No," Callie and Josh say in unison.

            A sigh escapes the nurse. "You will need help. Not only with him, but with yourself. You are going to be feeble for the next month," she explains as Callie looks over at Josh then back to the nurse.

            "I'll take care of you both. I'll take family leave from work. I've got it," Josh says.

            "You don't have to do that," Callie says softly.

            "I want to."

            "It's settled. You'll be able to leave in a couple of days. We want to make sure you and the baby are okay," the nurse says sympathetically, squeezing Callie's hand.

            "Okay, thank you," Josh nods, watching her leave. "Are you okay with this?"

            "I mean I don't have a choice."

            "I'm sorry."

            She looks at Josh and then looking over at her mom as she walks back in.

            "What did the nurse say?" her mother asks, pulling the chair over and sitting down.

            "Kaiser and I are getting released here in a couple of days, and she told me I would need some help. Josh offered to take care of Kai and I," Callie says, knowing she hit a nerve with that comment.

            "I don't think that's a good idea Callie. I'll stay down here for a month, make sure Kaiser is alright until you can take care of him. I'll help you so you can finish up school. Maybe you should consider quitting softball now that you have a child, and after you finish school you can come home."

            "What? No. I want to play my last college softball year. I want to live here."

           "Honey, it's not practical anymore. You have a baby."

            Josh rolls his eyes. "Is no one listening? I'm going to take care of Callie and Kaiser so she can finish school and play ball. I am that child's father. I will take care of him and Callie."

            "Is this what you want?" Callie's mom asks her, arms crossed.

            "Yes, I think it's best for Kai and me right now," running a hand through her hair.

            "Well, I think it's a real stupid idea."

            "Can we just quit arguing?" Callie screams at her.

            Sighing, "your father and I are going to go to our hotel and get some sleep. We will be back in the morning, and I expect to be treated with more respect," her mom walks out, not even batting an eye at josh. Sitting up in bed, Callie closes her eyes, sighing. Josh and Callie now alone with each other.

            "You should eat something," Josh says.

            "I'm not hungry. I can't keep it down."

            "Okay. Would you like to go down and see our son with me?"

            "I don't think I'm allowed to move."

            "Okay, well can I do anything?" Josh tries again. Callie shakes her head. "Some water maybe?"

            "Sure."

            "Okay, water it is," he smiles a little, standing up and walking out of the room to retrieve her some water. Coming back a couple minutes later, the glass of the ice water in his hand. Callie takes the glass, swallowing a small sip, reaching over and setting it on the table beside the bed.

             "You look beautiful."

            "No, I don't. I look and feel like crap."

             "Yes, you do, and do you want me to see if I can get you something for the pain?"

            "It doesn't matter. They said I'm going to hurt for a while," Callie says, trying to get more comfortable.

            Grabbing more pillows, Josh helps Callie get more comfortable. "What if I rub your back?"

            A little hesitant at first, Callie finally manages to say. "Okay."

            Josh moves over next to her, kneading his hands in her back. His hand sliding under the hospital gown and on her bare skin. Callie takes a deep breath, letting it out, closing her eyes. He continues to slowly rub her back, working all of the knots out.

            "The second time that I had to leave I was in Ukraine."

             Her eyes closed, taking in the feeling of his hands kneading. She can't help but smile when Josh divulges the little information.

            "When does training start?" he asks.

             "For softball?"

             "Yes, for softball."

            "Here in the next month."

             "Well, it looks like you'll be able to make it," he says, rubbing lower.

             "Maybe."

            "You will," Josh says confidently. Instinct takes over as she leans back against Josh. Callie slowly starting to drift to sleep.