Chapter 5: Blue Wasn't Their Color

CHAPTER 5

Third Person POV (Hawk)

His feet move quicker than his head, pulling him down the staircase at an alarming rate though he senses no danger even as he missteps and slides down a few. Any direction to get him away from the inevitable- the doom- eases the concern fluttering in the back of his conscience. His shoulder slams against a random exit door, pressing all his body weight against it to alleviate the burden of all these emotions pressing down upon him. An empty hallway confronts him on the other side. It's well-lit white walls continue on and on and on just like his fueling emotions. He carries himself onward down the hall until the fatigue catches up to him and halts all movement. The rest of his body slows the second his feet yield including his quick moving thoughts chasing after his sanity.

A nurse glances at the teen as she exits the room to the left, but does not comment as she passes. The floral cloud of perfume lingering behind her sends Hawk into a beautiful memory.

'His mother's perfume lingers in his bedroom, causing the embarrassing phone call to replay in his head, More tears of frustration and pain escape his eyes so he grips the pillow tighter to transfer the anger and presses his face further into it to conceal and capture his aforementioned tears. A light rap echoes through his door. His body lies still on the bed refusing to acknowledge it in suspicion his mother had returned in apology. But then the knock sounds again.

He has half the mind to tell her to leave but the rustling on the other side of the door suggests it isn't his mother after all. "Hey, E. Your mother understands now. I mean she told me you yelled it at her and she feels bad. When you need me, I'll be here." A soft thud brings a slight smile to his tear soaked lips. He could imagine her sitting in her loose fitting jeans and some sort of Harry Potter tee with her head against the door she leaned against. Her knees pulled to her chest with a book balanced between them.

He remains in his position for a little while, collecting himself enough to turn his head in the direction of his door though all he can see his bookcase against the far wall and his desk beside his bed. Besides, his eyes have failed to adjust to the light fully, but he still calls out, "You can come in now." He can hear her soft sigh that sounded different than the usual one of sympathy he received from everyone else he spoke to.

"Is it okay if I rub your back?" He nods against his pillow, parting his lips in a soft sigh of his own as her hand presses ever so slightly against his back. Absently he arches into her touch until he becomes conscious of the way his stomach hovers so slightly off his bed. He buries his face back into the navy blue fabric covering his memory foam pillow to hide the reddening of his cheeks.

"She called the school. She told them about the messages. They said they would make an announcement." Sadness rolls off him in waves which he notes she absorbs  with each upward and downward movement against his back instead of allowing him to soak it back in. Her hand retracts as he abruptly turns over onto his back to fully face her. "Everyone is going to know it is me. It's going to get worse, Zel!"

The frustration pricks at the corners of his eyes once more and instead of muttering sympathetic words, the brunette lays beside him. He turns on his ride side as curiosity rids his conscience of the helplessness and aggravation momentarily. Her left arm sprawls out toward him while her right arm extends into the air. In her eyes, he sees the very confused expression on his face via his reflection. A smile peeks through the frown on his tears stained face at the sound of her giggle and the sweetness of her silent gesture.

He scoots his body over until it's barely touching his best friend's. His head lays against her shoulder while his arms remain at his sides. Her arm slowly lowers until it lays across his left arm and meets her other, enclosing him in a loose hug. All for his own comfort.