Ch. 49

Happy New Years!

Have this longer chapter as a small present🙂

"May?"

A sound of crashing dishes, and May emerged from around the corner, wiping her hands on a towel. "Hey!"

He leaned into the hug willingly, smiling softly. "Hey May."

"I want to hear everything," she stated. "Everything. All the juicy details. Go."

"There are literally no juicy details." Peter shrugged lightly, a faint flush covering his cheeks. "He'll either be there tomorrow or he won't."

"Not what I meant, kiddo." May pulled him over to the couch, dropping down after him. "I mean I want to know all about the conference. I mean, you can tell me about your boyfriend too, but-"

"Not my boyfriend."

"Not yet."

"Seriously, May?"

Giving an innocent smile, his aunt leaned into the cushion. "Baby, I live vicariously through you and Pepper. Spill."

"What, you didn't hear everything from dad?"

"No, surprisingly." May pursed her lips. "He hasn't answered any of my calls, I think he's afraid I'd chew him out for daring to take you to Germany when this was happening."

"I mean, he didn't-"

"If you say he didn't know, I will stuff this sock in your mouth," she said, only half jokingly, fishing an old piece of fabric from between the couch cushions. "He had to have known at least something. I've always let him get off easy, on more than I should've. But he's walking a mighty thin line."

Peter shrugged one shoulder. "He's doing the best he can with this. Don't be too hard on him."

May gave him a critical stare. "I thought you were pretty mad at him."

"Eh. We're at a truce for now. Still stuff we need to talk about, but we're good at the moment."

"Hm." May pulled him into another hug. "I got called in for another shift, Amber had to call in, and they asked if I could take it. I'll be back in a few hours, I'm really sorry for this. I wanted to hear about everything, but I guess it will have to wait. Do you have- have you eaten? I can leave money for takeout-"

"I ate at Delmar's, May. I'm fine."

"Oh good. Have any homework?"

He thought of the many assignments he'd accumulated over the past week of absence, and sighed. "Yup."

"Mmhm. Missed work? You should go ahead and get started. There's chips in the cabinet, and I bought orange juice this morning."

"You're the best." Peter kissed her cheek as he stood, picking up his backpack. "Have a safe drive."

The minute she left, instead of working on the paperwork, he pulled out the suit from the bottom of his bag.

Patrol was the only thing that could clear his head at the moment, and he'd be back before May.

----

After an eventful patrol, and being completely out of it for the entirety, he made his way to the top of one of his regular haunts.

Dialling a number, he held the phone to his ear.

"You have reached the voicemail box of..."