Chapter 37: The Dirty Special Ops Truth

The temperature of her water beginning to chill, Callie adjusts herself in the tub and slowly pulling herself up. The pain and weakness in her body not getting any better. Her eyes look over as the door opens and Josh steps in.

            "Okay, take it easy," Josh says, wrapping the towel over her shoulders. "Hold onto me."

            Doing what she's told, she holds onto him as he helps her out to the bedroom. Carefully sitting her down on the edge of the bed, a towel wrapped around her. "Which clothes do you want?"

            "Um, just one of my sports bras and shorts."

            "Okay," he nods, walking to her suitcase and retrieving the items before walking back over and helping her get dressed. "You okay?"

            "Yeah, I just hurt everywhere," she says. Callie and Josh's faces inches apart.

            "Well, get comfortable," he says, helping her move up the bed. "I'm going to go check on little man then I'll be back," he smiles, standing up straight and walking out.

            A few minutes later, Josh walks back into the room, carrying a heating pad and some oil. The baby monitor clipped to his shorts pocket.

            "What's all that?" she grins.

            "I figured you could probably use a massage. If you want one of course."

            "Oh, um yeah sure."

            "Alright, well get comfy."

            Callie slowly moves to her stomach, resting her head on her arms and closing her eyes. A few seconds later she feels Josh's hands work on her shoulders once more and upper arms. Working on the kinks in her shoulders and upper arms, letting the heating pad work its magic on her lower back. After ten minutes, Josh moves the heating pad to her upper back and replaces his hands where the heating pad was.

            "How's that?"

            "Good," Callie answers.

            "Good," he repeats as he continues.

            Josh keeps massaging, moving the heating pad to the spots he just finished – making sure to get every inch of her body.

            "That feels really good."

            "Good. The heat will help with the soreness," he says, finishing up and laying down beside her.

            "Thank you," she says, moving her head.

            "No need to thank me. It's my pleasure."

            Callie looks over his face.

            "What are you thinking?"

            Callie shrugs her shoulders. "Everything hurts."

            "Well, I wish there was something I could do to help everything."

            "What?" she chuckles. "Ow, even laughing hurts."

            "I'm sorry," he coos, rubbing his hand over her back.

            "It's okay."

            "You're amazing, you know that?"

            "Thank you," Callie says, moving into him more.

            "No, thank you," Josh says, wrapping his arm around her. "I'm part of a Special Operations task force. We are sent into places to rescue hostages, assassinate terrorists, and gather intelligence about different people that threaten our countries freedom," Josh begins, kissing her forehead. "I want to be able to tell you everything, but there will always be certain things that I can't tell you about work."

            "On my first tour of duty, my team was captured. We were tested on, and half of us died," he says. "The other half that didn't die, well we escaped. Whatever they tested on us turned us into like super soldiers, I guess. So, they made us into a special ops team."

            Callie sits up, trying to comprehend what she heard. "A super soldier?"

            "Yeah, I know, it sounds ridiculous," Josh chuckles. "Callie, I want to be with you and it's not a good excuse, but I pushed you away because I love you and it's dangerous to be around me."

            "Why is it dangerous?"

            "I have a lot of enemies Callie."

            "That doesn't scare me," she shakes her head.

             Slowly sitting up on one elbow, Josh kisses her forehead. "See, you're tougher than you look," he winks. "Be with me."

            "What?"

            "Be with me," he repeats. "Be in a relationship with me."

            "I thought you were too dangerous to be around?" Callie grins.

            "Are you making me second guess what I'm asking you?" Josh smirks.

            "I'm just stating what you said."

            "You'll get sick of how much I'm around."

            "Well, Kaiser needs his dad so I don't think I will," she says, leaning in and kissing him softly on the lips.

            "We'll see," Josh nods, pressing his lips to hers – returning the favor.