Chapter 38: Guys Day, Interrupted By Momma

Once getting back to a relatively normal routine and feeling much better, Callie can't help but feel thankful for Josh and everything he's done to help with the baby during her recovery. Kaiser approaching two months quickly. Always good to have another set of hands. Callie cherishing not only the time she's had with Josh, but the help since his family leave is almost up.

             But the timing couldn't be any more perfect. The family of three arriving in Florida for some softball. A nice hotel room on the beach has already got Callie geared up for a somewhat relaxing getaway. A nice hotel room and private beach at that. Callie the only one not staying with the team since she now has a little one.

            With Callie at practice, soaking up the Florida sun in a different way than Kaiser and Josh, the two boys taking their relaxation to the pool. Taking a seat on the lounge chair perfectly placed under an umbrella, Josh places Kaiser on his lap.

            "Hello? Josh?" Callie calls out as she steps through the door, setting her backpack on the table. "Hello?" she calls out again. Her eyes catch a glimpse of a piece of paper sitting on the nightstand by the bed. The note indicating that Josh and Kaiser are out on the beach if Callie would like to join after practice. Changing quickly and grabbing a towel, she takes the stone path down to the water – Josh and Kaiser coming into view.

            "Hey," Callie greets once sidling up to them.

            "Hey, how was practice?"

            "It was good," Callie answers, taking a seat on the lounge chair next to Josh and stealing Kaiser away.

             "Good. So, is he the only one that gets a kiss?"

            Looking over, Kaiser looking around, Callie leans over and plants a kiss on Josh's lips.

            "Much better," he smirks.

            "When do you have to go back?" Callie asks suddenly.

            "They gave me four months, so I've got a couple months left," Josh answers, laying back and grabbing his hat. Callie lays back also, placing Kaiser on her stomach than lifting him up, blowing on his belly. "What do you want for dinner?"

            "What do you want?" Callie answers his question with another question.

            "Well, we're in Florida so there's lots of seafood, or else we could get pizza or something."

             "Seafood sounds good," Callie answers.

            "Alright seafood it is," Josh watches Kaiser as he looks at them, a small smile overtaking his tiny face. "He's so happy."

            "He's a happy baby," Callie nods, kissing his fat cheeks.

            "He sure is."

            "He's getting like really big," Callie inches on. "He has his checkup when we get back to Texas. Hopefully he's growing normal."

            "Oh, I'm sure he's growing just fine," Josh reassures, rubbing his hand over Kaiser's back. "Why? Are you worried?"

             "I mean, I'd be worried if he was still the size he was when he was born, but still. He's getting big fast."

            "I grew like that when I was a baby too and then slowed down."

            "Okay," Callie says not convinced.

            "And you still worry," he smiles.

            "I mean yeah, he's my child."

              "Yes, yes I know."

            "You only have what? A few months of school left?"

            "I know. It's scary and great at the same time."

            "Oh, it'll be good. You'll be happy, and then you get to try out for the team in Chicago if you still plan on doing that."

            "Yeah, I'm excited for that," she nods, fixing her hat. "You two look so much alike, it's scary," Callie smirks, looking back and forth between her son and Josh.

            "Poor kid," Josh winks. "He's in for it now, and his momma is never going to leave him alone."

             "No," she chuckles. Kaiser's eyes falling to the dog tags around Josh's neck. His little eyes becoming wide. "He's so fascinated by those."

            "Well, he can play with mine all he wants, but he's not allowed to have a pair of his own," Josh exclaims. Callie smiles, reaching up and scratching the back of Josh's neck. Callie not wanting him to have his own either.

            "Let's go eat. I'm starving."

            "When are you not starving?"

            "Yeah, yeah," Josh fires back as they stand up and grab all their stuff.