CHAPTER 1

The Kitchen Sink

The storm never seemed to want to end that day. The huge drops of rain that fell vigorously from the sky wet everything, from the streets, to the windows of the buildings, to the roofs of the famous red double-decker buses and cars, up to the people who walked hastily as every other day, not giving weight to dripping hair or soaked clothes, after all umbrellas are not very fashionable in England.
It was mid-August, although the London weather that afternoon resembled an autumn day, a kind of warning, perhaps, that the summer would soon come to an end, and that the time for holidays was getting shorter. But that, of course, didn't matter to Elizabeth: being only at the beginning of her career, she suspected that it would have been a long time before she could have left the bustle of the city and enjoy a few days at sea.

Elizabeth Dorothea Jones, Liz for friends, Liz for anyone in fact, loved her job. She had struggled to get it and was proud of it, however, her current position was making her rethink about being actually fit for the environment.

"I swear, if he tells me another time to rewrite this, I'll throw him and his damn film out of the window!" The young woman started to complain, whizzing outside the glass doors of the BBC building and down the stairs.

Her light brown hair being immediately victim of the rain, her clear skin now freezing under the touch of the wind and her green eyes wide open for anger and frustration.
Right beside her, in the impossible attempt to keep up with her, was her co-worker Finn, the closest thing she had to a family.

"I think you are overreacting a little, Liz. He's the director, it's normal that he wants everything to be perf..." he tried to talk her down, failing miserably.

"Overreacting?! Overreacting! I'm a screenwriter, Finn, not one of his sluts! Even if he insists on treating me like them!" She sharply interrupted him.

Elizabeth was furious with her employer, Mr Adams, for his attitude towards her. It seemed as if she was a sex toy in his eyes, not one of his writers, and he was never satisfied with her script for the film. With his pompous and arrogant ways he was slowing down all the pre-production's team. The woman was almost thinking of suing him for harassment and getting him out of the way.

"All right, all right! Just please stop shouting, you're killing my ears, you know?" Finn asked her ironically, eventually giving up, realising that he wasn't being of any help to her.

"I'm sorry, really. It's just...nothing seems to go the right way lately." She said, taking a long breath and slowing her walk.

"You are stressed," he asserted, stopping her and putting a hand on her shoulder, "you are working too much. Take a free day, I'm sure no one would dare to complain, and you can always say that you're working from home: it wouldn't be the first time you lock yourself into your apartment to write." He looked down at her with his bright blue eyes and gave her a charming smile.

The woman relaxed. "I believe you're right...", she eventually whispered.

"There are no doubts about that," he replied, making her laugh.

Elizabeth leaned her head to his chest, "What would I do without you Finn?" She asked him, sighing.

"Die from a nervous breakdown," he joked, leaving a kiss on her forehead.

To a stranger's eye, that might seems a not very English behavior, but Liz had always been a loving girl, and the two had become very close over the years.