CHAPTER 2

Narnia

Elizabeth looked around confused. One minute she thought she was drowning in her kitchen and now...now she was in the middle of the ocean! How exactly did she teleport from London to the open sea?

The course of those thoughts was interrupted by the sudden appearance, on the one hand, of three other people in the water, a girl and two boys who weren't too far from her and, just like her, seemed disoriented and struggled to stay afloat; on the other, of a huge sailing ship headed towards them.

"You've got to be joking..." she murmured to herself, starting to swim as fast as possible in the opposite direction.

"Eustace swim!!!" Elizabeth heard the girl, who was the nearest to her of the group, shouting at one of the boys.

"Eustace swim! Keep swimming!" the kid yelled again.

Elizabeth then instinctively turned her face to her and realized how much she struggled to stay afloat, probably much more than the others. Without waiting to find out how much longer she would've resisted, the woman reached her, took her by the hips and helped her to stay with her head out of the water.

"Don't worry, I got you!" she told her, trying to be strong enough for the both of them.

"And I got you," a voice spoke behind her. A male voice, firm and, in that situation, reassuring, while two arms surrounded her waist, supporting her.

Elizabeth realised now that some of the crew of the ship had jumped into the water to their aid, and one of them was helping her breathe.

"Caspian!" the little girl she had tried to assist exclaimed, turning to their saviour.

"Lucy!" he replied with a friendly voice. Elizabeth couldn't see him but she was sure there was a smile on his lips.

"Edmund! It's Caspian!" the girl, whose name had to be Lucy, yelled to one of the boys.

"It's all right boys! You're safe now!" a sailor told them immediately after, swimming closer to assist them.

"We are in Narnia?" one of castaways asked him, calming himself.

"Yes! Yes, you're in Narnia," he reassured him, jovially.

Elizabeth had absolutely no idea were she was, what was happening and what they were talking about, but she was glad for the help. She followed her saviour to the side of the ship, Lucy swimming right beside her.

"I don't wanna to go! I wanna go back to England! I'm going back to England!" the other young stranger keep yelling. Apparently, unlike Elizabeth, he was against any help. He was in a total state of panic, squirming at sea like a child who can't find his mother.

In the meantime, aided by her rescuer, the woman was focused on climbing up a narrow wooden platform that would carry her to the ship, however, a small but not irrelevant detail didn't escape her ear: she wasn't the only English.

The man circled her waist with his left arm, to keep her steady, and grasped the rope with his other hand. "Hold on," he told her, glancing down at her for a moment to see if she was all right. He found her trembling a little and with her eyes down. She was probably terrified and freezing, he though. Who knows how long they were in the water. And, in spite of that, she still did everything she could to help Lucy. She had to have a good heart...and a lot of guts.

Elizabeth, in truth, was just very confused, maybe even a little excited about being in another world. After all, escaping from everyday life had always been her greatest dream: she had never wanted a normal life, an ordinary life, she considered it boring, which is why she had entered the world of cinema, she wanted to find that little bit more which a common job couldn't offer her. But her wish didn't come true. Even as a screenwriter her life was not the one she had hoped for: something was missing, something that in her world would always be impossible to find...magic was missing. This world, however, seemed to be totally different from the one she came from. Maybe here she could find her place, find that something extra that would finally make her feel completely alive.