Chapter Thirty

Aster Montgomery's Journal

17th September

I want to ruin Christopher's life, but you know...when you're in love with someone for so many years, it's hard to comprehend the fact that your husband never loved you.

I gave him a choice and had a little talk, which turned out ugly.

'You've been having an affair with Lorna for so long! How could you do that to me, Christopher?'

He received my outburst with shocking calmness, as if he expected me to find out about it soon. "I'm sorry, Aster, I wanted to tell you since a long time back. I don't love Lorna, but she's very hard to get rid of...I don't know what happened to me...' he said.

'You have two children with her and a third one on the way. How many lies are you going to tell me?'

'Aster, I love you. I had to pretend with her.'

I held up my hand for him to stop talking. 'I want you to pack your stuff and leave. You can take Devin and Dayana with you if you want since they are yours and Lorna's...'

It had hurt me to say this because over the years I had loved and cared for both of them as much as I had for Castle and Theo; it shattered me to do this but there was no way out of this.

I picked a checkbook and signed a hefty amount. 'Take this money and don't show your face here again.'

Christopher looked broken, and I tried not to let it affect me and yet it was difficult to not feel anything at all. He'd cheated on me, married another woman while being married to me, yet in a small deep corner of my heart, I wanted him to leave Lorna and come back to me.

'Sweetheart, please, don't do this!′ He begged. 'I'm Castle and Theo's father too.'

'I don't care and I don't need you in their lives.′

'I'll divorce her.' He said, 'I'll break off the marriage with her and be with you.'

'No. I want you out of my life and in this house. I will not change my decision.'

'What decision?' Castle stood at the door. He looked so much like Chris. I knew it would break my heart every time I look at him in the future. He looked between his father and me, clearly picking on the tension. He had a basketball spinning on his finger.

'Nothing. Go back to your room, Cas.' I told him.

'Mom, Devin is being an asshole again. Can I throw him in the garbage or better yet, ship his ass off to some isolated island?'

'How many times have I told you to watch your mouth, son?' Chris asked him, obviously feeling threatened and taking the joke seriously.

'Don't talk about your brother like that, Cas. Now leave and close the door on your way.'

He made a face before closing the door.

'Did you see the way he talks about Devin? He thinks he is entitled to everything.'

'But isn't he?' I asked. 'Castle is my heir, Chris, and it will always be that way. If not for Castle, it will be Theodore.'

Chris laughed, 'you're taking revenge on those poor kids.'

'Those poor kids are the ones you forced into the house by lying to me. Castle and Theo are my blood! After the divorce, Devin and Dayana will go with you, and they won't have any more share into my will. I will pass whatever assets that you possess onto them.'