Chapter 53: Worthy (or not)

For some reason, the conversation had landed on the topic of Thor's hammer. It sat on the coffee table, in the middle of everyone who was still awake and present. 

Katya would be lying if she said the weapon didn't fascinate her. It was strange, she had seen the weirdest things in her lifetime: Inhumans, enhanced people, aliens, but the hammer was something else. Centuries old, from another planet with real gods, able to be picked up by only the worthy. 

Because of the latter, Thor left it laying around everywhere, knowing it would be in the exact same spot if he needed it. Although no one on the team had ever tried to lift it, everyone kind of knew they wouldn't be able to. They weren't exactly the best humanity had to offer. 

Clint, who had more than enough alcohol in his system, was frustrated he didn't understand how the hammer worked and that Thor didn't want to say more about it. 

''But, it's a trick!'' He was still spinning those drumsticks around in his hands, fatigue far from setting in. 

Thor found the whole situation more than funny, a big smile on his face at Clint's frustration. ''Oh, no. It's much more than that.'' He clanged his bottle of beer against Steve's, who also wasn't done drinking. 

Clint gestured widely towards the hammer. ''Uh, "Whosoever be he worthy shall haveth the power!"'' He mocked Thor's deep, strong voice. ''Whatever man! It's a trick.''

''Well please, be my guest.'' Thor invited Clint to try and lift the hammer, a confident smile on his face as he did. By this point, everyone had stopped their private conversations and turned to the action in the middle. They all looked at Clint expectantly, wanting to see if he would accept Thor's offer.

''Come on,'' Stark nudged Clint. Tony was always one who liked to have some fun and make fun of people if they failed. Not in a bad way, he just liked to embarrass them.

Clint was unsure if Thor was serious. ''Really?''

''Yeah.''

Clint stood up and Katya almost expected people to cheer. Instead, Clint was met with sarcastic remarks from Rhodey and Stark, who were not the best duo when drunk.

''Oh this is gonna be beautiful.'' Everyone was excited to see what would happen. Drinks were suddenly forgotten and everyone sat up a bit straighter. 

''Clint, you've had a tough week, we won't hold it against you if you can't get it up.'' There was laughter at the double meaning of Tony's sentence, but it all didn't seem to bother Clint, who was hellbent on lifting that hammer.

''I am going to film this.'' Katya was scrambling for her phone, which had disappeared somewhere on the couch she was on. 

Like one of his arrows leaving his bow, Clint snapped around, pointing one warning finger at her. ''Katariina Petrova, if you so much as touch that phone, you're dead.'' His tone was serious, but his eyes shone with humor. 

She laughed at his reaction, lifting her hands in surrender. ''Alright Rocky, calm down.''

Clint nodded in satisfaction and finally moved to the hammer. ''You know I've seen this before, right?'' With the drumsticks still in his left hand, he grabbed the leather handle of the weapon and pulled at it at once. But, like everyone suspected, nothing happened.

He let go, trying to laugh it off. ''I still don't know how you do it.''

''Loser,'' Katya muttered just loud enough for him to hear.

''Smell the silent judgement?'' Tony was really enjoying this.

''Please, Stark, by all means,'' Clint invited him.