Chapter Forty-One

Lunar's POV

Most of the night became uneventful, only dealing with occasional stalking and having to hide in certain places. Currently, Castian and I were lazing about on a roof, watching and listening to the sounds of screeched phrases. A few times we watched some of these spiders chase animals.

However, we didn't get the chance to get too comfortable or settled. Ozora's back stiffened and tensed as he straightened his posture, his eyes dilating as he stared towards the shadows of one of the empty houses. Looking in the same direction, I didn't notice anything at first. After a moment, I saw what appeared to be a man with a wide grin, his body walking around the window, his eyes glued in our path. Every time he spun to walk in another direction, his head never moved.

Our noticing him had his body traveling out of the building and stepping forward, our bodies standing in sync and getting ready to run.

"I hear Livion had difficulties with his toy tonight," He grinned, a sparkle in his eyes as he clasped his hands together and tilted his head to the side, "You don't look like a tough target. Maybe the packaging could be fooling me?"

"That's Livion's cousin," Cast mumbled towards me, backing up to the other side of the roof. The alarm on our phones went off saying that 8:00 AM was here, it was just difficult to tell since it was wintertime, "No hiding, no stopping. Let's go."

"Run, run, run," The male's expression only grew, the bright yellow irises he had morphing and fading to swirling gold and black eyeballs, his nose breaking and morphing into his skull while his teeth sharpened. His hand shifted into claws, slitting his own throat and making a new mouth in place of it, "You can run but you can't hide, My Pets. It's feasting night, and I am the fox to your gingerbread man."

Ozora helped me off the roof. As soon as our feet made contact with the gravel, everything seemed to come to a halt, all attention towards the two of us. It was like thousands of eyes were watching us, the man already in view of our escape route.

"Feasting time during the winter is always the best time," The guy hummed, his hand in the air and ready to snap his fingers, "Please, won't you stay for breakfast? I hear it's quite a treat. One mortal and the other a hybrid wolf. Both taste beautiful. The blood steams like hot cocoa in the cold, it's a lovely sight."

"Run, Kid," Castian was pushing me behind him, ushering me to run ahead of him while he slipped a knife from his pocket, "Don't stop running, hide where we discussed. We'll have to wait for the sun. Oliver is different from Livion, he won't stop at the end of his territory."

Ducking through an alley, Ozora moved in front of it, fully prepared to fight and die as Oliver chuckled, "Noble of you to protect your friend. Foolish of you to think you'd be enough. Mutts like you are easy prey, always fighting alone. Entertaining nonetheless. Your quarrel makes the shredding easier."

I didn't want to listen to Cast but I knew better than to go against him with how many were being used against us. Instead, I did what I was told, running through a few places and hiding in an alley as I made sure I could climb into the pipe. I could hear screeches and snarls but nothing too close, my body traveling its way into the tube and hunkering down at the bottom.

***

Castian's POV

I stared Oliver down, listening intently at Lunar's receding footsteps. I was grateful for him obeying, and not being defiant.

"The human will be an easy kill," Oliver sang, waving his hand to the left, "The hybrid is mine, go play fetch, My Loves."

"I don't think so," I smirked, already blocking the left path, "Nobody touches the Kid, but me."