3. University Gathering

My number.

My number...????

I started gaping at the gorgeous guy, not knowing what to say. The rest of the friends I've just made in my department started teasing us, and whistling— to my annoyance.

I was about to reject his offer until another department-mate suddenly came forward in shock.

"Wait....you couldn't be Baek Hyunbin? The one without a profile picture?" She exclaims, a hand over her mouth. "In the group chat."

Huh. There was a group chat?

"Oh Soojung, I think you weren't inside the Veterinary Science Department chatroom. I'll add you later. But first...." The girl seems to prompt me to address the issue at hand. "Why don't you get his number?"

"Oh...Sorry. I have a boyfriend." I reject, much to their disappointment. Hyunbin's eyes seem to be upset, but he reverts back to a polite smile to avoid making me feel guilty.

"I see. But if you're going to join the group chat, I might still have access to your number. Is that alright?" He tilts his head in a troubled manner.

"Well...it's okay." I nodded my head politely.

"Anyways, who's your boyfriend?" The girl asks once again, curiosity in her eyes.

Just then.

Flashbacks of the constant stress that I went through, when it was revealed that Jungkook was my boyfriend in high school— it sent shudders down my spine. I decided to evade the question for now.

"You don't know him, and he's in another department." I said. Technically— it wasn't a lie. "Shouldn't we go to the auditorium? The orientation is starting."

Fortunately, it was able to deter them from asking more. As I headed off with the rest of my department towards the venue, a voice catches my attention.

"Look, aren't they a perfect couple?"

And when I turn towards where they were pointing at, my eyes laid sight on Jungkook and...

Sooyul.

________________________________________
Fastforward

I won't lie.

The sight of Jungkook and Sooyul together somewhat stirred something in me. Unease. Discomfort. Maybe even a bit of jealousy. Afterall, they literally look great together.

As the thoughts occupied my head like an ominous cloud, I dunked the beer one after another, catching the attention of Hyunbin.

"...You okay?" He questions after examining my expression. "Need a tissue?"

"Huh?" I stared back at Hyunbin, as he points out something at the corner of my mouth. Ew. There's curry at the edge of my lips.

I reject his keen proposal of wiping it with a tissue. Instead, I wipe it with the back of my hand unglamorously, before getting dizzy again from the alcohol. 

A few of the departments were crammed in a cafe bar after the orientation, a sort of after party. After hearing the word 'alcohol' and 'food' paid by 'seniors', I came without hesitation.

But my troubles which I dunked in a wave of beer seemed to catch the attention of my department mates. They looked at me with worry, as I gulped down jugs of beer after another.