37

"How's your day been so far?" Dad asks through the phone, while I lie with my head on Jace's lap.

"It's been good. Max and I went out for lunch with Mom and Enrico. She's going out tonight with Amelia's Mom and staying away from the party. I told her she doesn't have to."

"I'm bet you're glad though," he chuckles. "What about Enrico? He coming?"

Jace's fingers tickle my skin on my neck and I shiver. "He's here right now but he said he's gonna leave when people get annoying."

"Fair enough," Dad laughs. "I wish I could be there."

"Me too. But I'll come see you tomorrow."

"I can't wait. Listen, I need to go."

"Okay." I try to stop my mood from dropping.

"Feliz cumpleaños, Yasy. And tell Jace I say hi." He says the last part with a hostile tone.

"Um, I will," I look up at Jace who's smirking.

"I love you, hasta luego."

"Love you."

The line dies and I throw my phone down with a sigh. Jace watches me sit up. "Cheer up, birthday girl."

I kiss him softly. It's slow and intense and makes me want to stay on this bed all day. When I pull away, I smile.

"All better. I gotta get ready."

"Need some help?" He grabs the bottom of my top and pulls it over my head, leaving me only in my bra and shorts.

I roll my eyes and stand up, heading to my wardrobe but Jace wraps his arms around me from behind and lifts me off the ground. My complaints turn to laughter when he starts kissing my shoulder and neck. I can never stay fake moody around him.

There's a knock at the door then it opens but Jace doesn't let me go. Luckily it's Amelia and Brooke, as opposed to one of my brothers. I asked them to come  over early so we could get ready together. Well, Amelia was already here. 

"Umm, should we come back or..." Amelia laughs while Brooke looks shocked.

"No, Jace is just leaving." I pull away and he lets me go while pouting.

"Can't I stay and help?" He smiles mischievously and leans into me again.

"Jace, get your ass out," Amelia demands and points at the door.

"Fine." He kisses my cheek then heads to the door, looking back at me before Amelia shuts it and he's out of sight.

"You guys are so in love, it's sickening," Brooke says. She sits on my bed and starts pulling stuff out of her makeup bag.

"Yeah, how is the honeymoon stage going for you?" Amelia asks.

"I don't think we're in the honeymoon stage yet. At least not until he's sure he actually wants to be with me." I say the last part quietly and begin to look through my wardrobe.

"Wait, what?"

"It's just that... he's scared he's gonna panic, and run away and fuck shit up again like he did before. And I'm also scared that I'm gonna get too scared by him changing his mind, that I fuck shit up for him." Saying it out loud makes me realise how screwed up we are. Can't we just be normal people that get into a relationship easily?

"Why the heck would he change his mind? He seems crazy about you," Brooke questions and Amelia agrees.

"He doesn't think he will but I don't know. I know that it's just who he is and he has an extreme case of commitment issues, but it's kinda freaking me out."