10

It Hurts Like Hell - Aretha Franklin 

True love...it has no hiding place. It's not something you just put away...

ISABELLA 

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is your Captain speaking. We would like to welcome you to your United Airlines flight to New York City..." 

The captains voice drowns out once I place my headphones over my ears. I watch as the bubbly stewardesses perform the standard safety video. They were awfully perky for this hour of the day. Three in the morning wasn't the most ideal flight time, however it was cheap and the first one I saw available.

The airplane was not as full as I originally thought it would be. I had managed to get a coveted window seat with an empty seat between me and a young man. He too had slipped on his headphones and shut his eyes. 

I could feel the plane begin to move on the tarmac. I slowly open the bind on my window, moving it up halfway. It was pitch black outside. The only lights being the many small flashing bulbs on the ground. The plane is slow as it moves, situating itself for takeoff. I reach for my carryon bag and pull out a pack of gum. Throwing a piece in my mouth, I chew away any built up pre-flight anxiety. 

My heart thuds against my chest. Everything about this was bittersweet. My goodbye with Jaz this morning had been tough. Seeing her so broken up only made this decision harder. She was a great friend and I knew that she would be a constant person in my life. Without her, my life wouldn't be the same. There was no way around it. At the same time, I was happy that Tiff would be taking my place in the apartment. I could only imagine how hard it would be to find another flat mate especially in the city. It was a bit of relief that she was able to find someone so soon. Even more so it being Tiff. 

In a span of two years, I had easily fallen in love with the city of London. Deep down I knew that this place would be home to me. But emotionally, I knew I couldn't stay. 

Everything around me began to shake. I could feel the plane begin to quicken it's pace, a sure sign that we were about to take off. I look back out into the dark abyss that captivated London. I whisper a faint, "See you around..." hoping that one day, I would be able to. 

An hour passes by. A voice disturbs me from my book, breaking my concentration. I look over to see a petite flight attendant. She smiles warmly at me, her hands clasped to a drink cart. 

"Can I offer you any thing to drink, ma'am?" She asks, her voice thick with an old familiar sound. She has a soft accent... New Jersey. 

"Water?" I ask, my throat already feeling dry from the recycled air. She nods, quickly pouring some bottled water into a small plastic cup. She hands it over to me, keeping her perky smile intact. "Thanks..." 

"And for a snack? We have peanuts or crackers," she quickly explains, holding each small package up for me to see. I tell her crackers in which she then passes over. Again, I whisper a quick thank you, and place the new items onto the folding tray in front of me. 

Once everyone had been given a beverage and snack, the same stewardess dims the lights in the cabin, allowing it's passengers the luxury of a night's rest. I take quick sips, allowing the room temperature water to coat my drying throat. Fiddling with my iPhone, I unravel my headphones, placing each bud into my ear. I turn on my  my music, clicking on the first playlist I see. I'm content when the soulful sounds of Aretha Franklin began to play. Her voice captivates me as she begins to sing. 

I shut my eyes and allow her voice to bring me into a distant place of peaceful rest. 

-

It had been a cold February day in Berlin. I had been wrapped up in an oversized sweater and knitted scarf for most of the day. It had been almost too warm but perfectly cozy.