CHAPTER 5

Intense moments

The battle ended quite quickly, with the unconditional surrender of the slave traders. All the crew members were then greeted warmly by the inhabitants of the city, who gathered at the port to watch them sail.

Before leaving, the royals, along with Elizabeth and Eustace, who had finally reunited with the group, were stopped by two very different people.

Their first encounter was with a man, who desperately begged them to let him join the crew to find his wife. It was, in fact, the same man that Lucy, her cousin and the woman had seen running behind the wagon with the prisoners that morning. The three later learned, thanks to what Caspian and Edmund had been able to see from a small window in the wall of their cell, that the kidnapped people were a sacrifice to evil. They were put on boats and sent into the open sea, where they disappeared surrounded by a green mist. The seven Lords of Telmar had promised to find the source of that mist and destroy it, but they had never been able to complete the task. It was therefore now up to the crew of the Dawn Trader to find not only the Lords, but also the missing people.

The second person to draw their attention was the Lord whom the two Kings had found imprisoned. The man gave Caspian an old sword of Narnia, all now covered in corals. He explained to him that there were seven such swords, they were a gift made by Aslan to the Lords to defeat evil.

By accepting the gift, Caspian promised to accomplish what they had begun. He then gave the sword to Edmund, as a sign of friendship and equality, before embarking on a longboat and helping Elizabeth do the same.

Being exhausted and eager only to return to the ship to rest, the woman gratefully accepted the king's hand and, in doing so, her watchful eye did not miss the cut on his shoulder. It didn't seem to be an excessively serious wound, but it had not even to be underestimated.
Noticing the her attention to his injury, Caspian gave her a reassuring look, making her understand that everything was fine and putting the matter immediately aside.

Once the crew was back on board, the ship resumed its course to the east and, at sunset, the port of Narrowheaven was already far away.

✵✵✵✵

Despite the late hour and fatigue, Elizabeth decided not to retire with Lucy, but instead to go looking for Caspian: she had, in fact, a bad feeling about his shoulder. She therefore went to the captain's cabin, where she knew she would have found him still standing to check the maps.

She knocked lightly on the wooden doors, before she opened it just enough to get her head in. Just as she expected, the King was there, bent over his desk studying old charts.

"Do you have a moment?" she gently asked him.

He raised his head surprised upon hearing the sound of her voice, "Of course, come in," he told her with a soft smile, "What is it?".

"Why do I have the feeling that you didn't do anything about that shoulder wound?" she continued, letting herself in and closing the door behind her.

"I had more important things to do, Liz, than worry about my shoulder." he honestly replied.

She nodded, "Very well then, take off your shirt," she said. Caspian froze on the spot. He had surely heard it wrong, he must have heard it wrong. "Cas," she called him, seeing the shocked look on his face, "I can't work on the wound while you have your shirt on," she explained him quietly.

"Really Liz, you don't have to worry about it, I can..." he tried to respond, after recovering from his trance state.

"Take it off, Caspian." she immediately cut him off.